DVD players with JPEG capabilities

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMark, Feb 4, 2003.

1. ChrisMark

ChrisMark Agent

I am new to HTF and what a great source of info. My question regards DVD players that can handle JPEGS on a CD. I currently have a large number of CDs burned with JPEGS and was using an APEX 1500 (which crapped out, then a GE110N (which also crapped out). I am determined to purchase a QUALITY unit and have identified models from JVC, Philips, and Toshiba as reputible manufacturers that contain JPEG capabilities. I curently own a SONY 61" projection TV (Not widescreen or HDTV) and a SONY HTIB that works well for my small room. Can anyone recommend one of these players. I do not need progressive scan or multi-disk, but will not rule them out.

THANKS[​IMG]

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I have the JVC XV-SA600BK and am very happy with it's performance. Very good film mode deinterlacing, no chroma bug, good DVD-A reproduction, great usability features, great remote, good build quality. It can be found online for $175-$200.

EDIT: Just noticed that you won't be using progressive output. Reportedly, the JVCs derive their interlaced output settings by converting the video signal to progressive, then back to interlaced. This can introduce artifacts. You might want to take this into account if you end up considering JVC.

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I've got a Toshiba SD-2815 that does mp3,jpg,vcd,and of course DVD its a 5 disc changer can be had for around 150 american and so far has been a great player its also a slim changer so its really not much taller than its single disc counterparts I've had it for around 4 months now and am totally loving it.

4. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

As an owner of the JVC 602SL (the silver brother to the 600BK), I would agree with everything Doug said except one, build quality. The player was indeed a remarkable performer for the price, but mine gave up the ghost after only four months of use. Not too impressive.

-Lyle J.P.

5. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

My Samsung P421 so does the Apex and the Mintek which is on sale at Best Buy for 55.00

6. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I have the JVC 600 and if you re-size your pics to 640x480 or smaller they will load up nicely for you with no compression artifacts.

7. ChrisMark

ChrisMark Agent

Thanks for the input. I think I'm leaning toward the JVC s500 or FA900. Is the non-progressive picture worse with the JVC than the Toshiba? Should I structly stick with a non-progressive if I don't plan to move to HDTV in the near future?