DVD players. Why so many technical issues?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    With progressive scan on most players today and with prog scan displays becoming more common, one would think this is the time to jump into another player upgrade to take advantage of progressive scan and 480p.

However, I find myself very hesitant to change my 480i player, a Toshiba 3108. It seems that if you have a reliable player, you best hang onto it. Why are there still so many issues with DVD players, even today.... audio dropouts, lack of disk recognition, chroma bug, audio sync, when does the drama stop?

I ,ay just hang onto my player and get into HD DVD once that becomes a little affordable (and when it arrives) and forget 480p altogether.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

But the upside is that DVD players are relatively inexpensive compared to 2 years ago, so taking a chance (after doing your research) on a new DVD player model isn't as much of a risk as it used to me, and buy the player from a store with a 30 day return policy for peace of mind if the player doesn't perform up to expectations.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Neil, if you have a TV that can handle it, 480p is a major step up, IMO. At today's prices, it's a no-brainer -- as compared to when I first bought a p/s player in 1999. The easiest insurance against your concerns is to keep the Toshiba player as a backup. That's what I did with my Sony 7000 when I first acquired my Panasonic H1000, and I've never been sorry. Having two players has many advantages (e.g., loading up both discs of a 2-disc special edition) and protects you against most incompatibility problems.

M.

4. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

Or just buy the store's insurance plan. Their usually only like $50 for 4 years or so and combined with the price of the player, they're still below the price of those from a year or two ago.

Scott

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Yes, we are still a bit on the "bleeding edge" of some things.
    But we are getting into smaller and smaller details of something that is an order-of-magnitude better than VHS tape.
    Yes, there will always be something to compalin about, some nit to pick, some small artifacts.
    Lets look at them:
    - Audio Sync: this was a problem with first-gen players. It's been fixed except for some isolated problems.
    - Audio Drop Outs: I've mainly seen this because of using an audio cable instead of a video cable for the coaxial-digital connection. There IS one brand of DVD player that has this problem when paired up with a particular model of receiver. But this seems to be more a receiver problem than the DVD player.
    - Chroma Bug: Have you seen it? I have not. Most people wouldnt notice this bug if it hit them over the head. It's a subtle problem that I think is fixed with current players.
    - Lack of Disk Recognition: There have been a few people with older Sony DVD players getting the "13:00" problem. I have seen this with my Sony, but it is always with a rental disk and is solved by cleaning the disk. I dont think it's a problem with the current players as they seem a bit more forgiving of dirty disks.
    Of course you should keep your old DVD player. It makes a great second-room system and serves as a backup. But dont let the few historical problems among the 25,000 members of HTF scare you off. (We are the picky elite [​IMG] ) Get your new player, run disks through it for the 30 day return period and decide for yourself if you can spot any flaws.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Personally, I would love to do a thorough demo of a prog scan player to compare with my interlaced Toshiba 3108, and see how much improvement I get by letter the player do 480p rather than the display device but I guess the moral of the story is keep a reliable player if you have one.

8. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I also have the Toshiba 3108,still needs firmware fix[​IMG] but also have a Panasnic 434 as a back up.I know the Panny 434 is said to not be a TRUE progressive player.Ive been doing a little eyeball testing with the 2 on my JVC AVR56WP30.Im having trouble telling any real difference,could this be due to the JVC's having internal 3:2 pulldown and upconverts to 1080i?From what I have seen so far,the TV is covering a LOT of the 434's problems everyone complains about.?

9. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

I dunno, the latest round of players seems pretty solid from all I can gather. My CP-72 has been great so far, though I haven't exercised it enough to know that it will reliably read all discs in the universe. I would venture to say that most folks with the newest players are enjoying trouble-free operation.
    Admittedly, there's *always* a chance you could have a problem with a new player that you didn't have before, but I don't see the players generally being troublesome these days. And progressive video performance has gotten so much better and cheaper of the last year and change that I can't imagine not making the leap. My old SD-6200 was completely reliable, but the new player has so many advantages (at 1/3 the cost) that it was a no-brainer.
    Admittedly, understanding every last detail of each player so as to make a fully informed choice is nearly impossible. But it's a relative cakewalk compared to buying a digital camera. You wanna talk technical issues? [​IMG]

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Get a nice, inexpensive prog-scan player with aspect ratio control, Neil. As Michael says, you can always hold onto the Tosh as a backup.