DVD Players sales down from last year

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rod Melotte, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Sorry - don't know where to put this post.

For the 1st time in history DVD Players sales down from the same time last year. In January 2002, 542,698 were sold compared to 572,031 in Jan 2001. This is not a big drop but still it's the 1st time since the format appeared that this has happened.

Do not fear though. My feeling is that the reason was because of HUGE sales in Sept through December where the average monthly sales were 1,732,213, compared to the same 4 months in 1999 (1,175,634).

Have we started to reach the saturation limit?

February is typically a slowest month for DVD Player sales. And while sales are climbing they are slowing. In comparable months 1998 sold 396% more players then 1997, 1999 sole 229% more then 98 and 2000 sold 154% more then 99.

The interesting thing is that January is sort of a bell weather month almost mirroring what the rest of the year will bring and we're at a 5% contraction (June is actually a better indicator but it's the middle of the year).

Time will tell if the market is finally starting to level out.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I would bet it's mostly do to the down economy, and not quite yet that DVD players have reached saturation.

3. Rod Melotte

I didn't mean saturation. More like everybody that HAD TO HAVE ONE and done so. I'm just thinking that the "explosion" in sales is starting to slow down.

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Well, it does have to slow down eventually. But, seeing as this isn't the major buying season, having a drop or a leveling off of sales really isn't suprising.

Bruce

5. Rod Melotte

Remember that I AM comparing sales from the same time of years.

Also remember that I'm I'm not really trying to come to a conclusion, just interesting information.