DVD players: lifespan poll

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

When I first started out at HTF, I was alarmed at the number of people who were already into their third and fourth players--many of them because the prior machines had already failed. DVD player mortality was disconcerting.

Many people reported player malfunctions after screening more than two films back-to-back--but indicated that the malfunctions would cease after turning the machine off and letting it cool.

This disturbed me.

I am upgrading this year--but not because my trusty Sony 550 is giving out. Rather, I need a prog-scan player because of certain other upgrades I will be making. The little 550 is headed for bedroom duty.

But I'm seriously interested in how your players have held up or otherwise. Would you kindly list each player you've had and briefly describe what led to its demise? In so doing, please state how often you used the machine(s)--daily, weekly, etc., and how many hours per session. Also indicate if you kept the machine as dust-free and well-ventilated as possible. Thanks.

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I have had my trusty Toshiba SD 2006 since late 97. It is only now starting to show signs of wear(transport is starting to get a bit noisy). Other than that, the only reason I am getting a new one is that I want something that will pass a DTS signal and possibly DVD-A.

3. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

My Toshiba 5109 is over 2 years old - still plays like brand new.

It's in a dedicated room with good power, proper cooling, and in a rack. It only gets a few movies on a good week.

4. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

I bought may first and only DVD-player, the SD-3108, in November of 1998. On Average I watch about 2-3 movies a week on it, but that can fluctuate, depending on my school schedule(i.e coarse load, holidays, etc.). Over the last 3.5 years I have found no reason to upgrade. I purchased a 50inch 4:3 Toshiba TV at the same time as my DVD-player. I purcahsed the TV the year before Toshiba started to make their TVs truly HDTV ready . Only recently have I given serious thought to upgrading. DVD-Audio is the reason I would upgrade. Plus if I get a good progressive scan DVD-Audio player it will be one less thing I have to get when I get a widescreen tv

5. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I'm still on my first DVD player. Panasonic A100. Bought it 4 years ago.

It's starting to show signs of dying though. If I hit the stop button, and then try to go to a menu, the player hangs and I have to open/close the tray. Other than that the play quality is just as good as when I got it.

Only negative is it can't do DTS.

6. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

My ever-dependable Sony S3000 is over 4 years old now and still going strong. Only drawback is no DTS, but my roomate's PS2 can pinch-hit in those rare cases.

7. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I will have owned my Toshiba SD-2109 for three years in about a month, which makes it physically older than 3 at this point. Outside of compatibility errors (which specifically, are playing individual extras on a few releases, and the Godfather Collection Disc 5 problem), the player has had nary a hitch. And it works like brand new.

8. Jack Briggs

Joe, Steve: How often are your machines used on a weekly basis? Thanks! JB

9. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Jack, I've had my trusty Sony S500-D since August of 1998 and it is still going strong. Aside from the lack of DTS support, I've been immensely pleased with its performance. It gets used at least 4 times a week - sometimes 7 when I was reviewing - and has never locked up or otherwise malfunctioned during standard movie and special feature playback. I've had marathons with it running for over 6 hours with no signs of distress, either. It sits on top of my CD changer in an open Salamander Archetype rack and is reasonably well-ventilated and dust free. If I wasn't putting in a front projector in the basement (Studio Experience 13HD 16x9) that wants a progressive signal, the Sony would be used down there as well. As it is, the Sony will stay with the upstairs system and I expect to get another few years out of it as only my wife and young son will be using it.

10. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Toshiba SD-2109 -- 3 years old next month and used almost daily until given to my needy sister who still uses it weekly.

Sony DVP-C660 -- Almost 2 years old and still used daily as all 5 slots are crammed with kiddie fare.

Sampo 620 -- Almost 1 year old and used maybe once a week for the upstairs system.

Malata N996 -- 2 months old and used every few days

I also have a Toshiba DVD-ROM drive that's 4 years old and used for screenshots here and there.

So I've never actually had a DVD player die on me (of course now I've jinxed myself). But I sure never let the lack of mechanical failure dissuade me from upgrading.

11. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Jack- being a bum, I have lots of free time on my hands to watch movies. [​IMG] I use my player to watch 5-10 movies a week, nowadays.

12. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

13. RobR

RobR Second Unit

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    My Toshiba SD-1600 still runs fine (It's a little over 1 year old).

I HOPE it stays that way...I won't buy another DVD player until I can afford a progressive scan one.

15. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

16. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Sony S360 - Will be 2 years in July. It still works like brand new (I just watched Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back tonight) A lot of people here are complaining about that particular model but mine works perfectly.

I don't over-strain it though, I rarely watch more than 1 movie per day (Sometimes 2 when it's 2 short movies that are sequels such as the 2 Bill & Teds or when I rent a few disks)

If it ever fails, I'd either get another Sony (The one that does SACDs = forgot the model #) or the Tosh 4700 (I have some DVD-As)

17. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Jack, I use my A100 at least for 3-4 movies a week and sometimes 6-8, although yesterday was a 2-movie day. Also, my wife likes to pop in Sex and the City episodes while doing housework, so it gets even more use out of that.

18. Jack Briggs

Keep 'em coming, gentlemen. This information is very interesting. I have some story ideas brewing here.

19. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
  20. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Rob,

DTS compatible players are no longer an issue. Every player these days is DTS compatible. Four years ago they were more of a rarity.

I bought a Sony DVP-S3000 exactly four years ago. It has played about 500 movies with never the slightest glitch, even on heavily damaged rental discs. I have never had a single problem even on discs that many others report problems with. It has spotless playback of seamless branching titles, which surprised me since it is such an early model. The layer switch is also significantly faster than on my two newer models. I don't use it as a CD player, so it probably doesn't get as much use as some others do.

I also have a Samsung N-501 which only gets sporadic use, but seems to be a fairly solid machine. I occasionally have to put a DVD in two or three times to get it to be accepted, which seems to be common on cheaper machines. I actually use it more for mp3 playback. I create mp3 discs from my own CDs for playback throughout the house on a wireless distribution system. In most cases, I can fit an artists entire catalog on one or two discs at a good bit rate, usually 192-256 Kb/S. It's great for background classical music as well. All nine Beethoven Symphonies as well as a few Overtures easily fit on one disc. When I got a new 16/10/40 CD burner, I started having trouble with my mp3 discs skipping. I thought it was the player, but found out that data CD/Rs are almost always overrated for write speed. I now burn CDRs at half their rated speed and have no more problems.

A few months ago I replaced the Sony in my main system with a Toshiba SD-3750. I mostly wanted DTS and CD/RW capability, so I can check the sound of LPs I am converting to CD without wasting a CDR. It has been a solid performer and I don't recall having to re-install any DVDs to get them to play. There is a lot of talk about how the image (especially downconverted) is "sharper" than Sony's, but I don't know that I find it better rather than just different.

In the end, I would say the Sony is the best all around machine, followed by the Toshiba and then the Samsung, but all are perfectly acceptable. BTW, the Sony and Toshiba pass PLUGE but the Samsung doesn't.