DVD Players $2000-5000

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark Anthony, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

Feb 25, 2001
    I have a Krell showcase system and was going to buy the new showcase DVD player...until I found out it doesn't replay SACD. Which players from say $2000-5000 are worth looking at?

I currently have an Arcam FMJ 27 DVD player and want a player which is better than that - and can also replay CD's at audiophille grade.

My other concern is the advent of hi-def dvd...is it so close that it's worth waiting 1.5-2 years for a new hi-def player rather than buying now...?

Your thoughts are appreciated

2. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Mar 6, 2001
    There is the TEAC DV-50 which is supposed to be possibly the only Universal player out there that excels in every arena. It received five-stars from "What Hi-Fi" this month. However, I think this player will run closer to $7,000 USD, though it may be found cheaper in Asia I'm told. Another option would be the $2000 Denon 5900 (you can spend an extra grand and have the audio section modded if you want), or wait for Denon's new flagship which is rumored to go for between $4,000-$5,000. Lexicon also has a Universal machine for $3500, but I don't know how good the video quality is. It is based, I believe, on the Pioneer 47a.