What's new

dvd player (1 Viewer)

Dale

Auditioning
Need a little input from the list here. Don't know if this thread has already occurred. I have a Toshiba 3109 DVD. One of the first to come out. How does it compare to the newer and cheaper models being offered today by Toshiba, Panasonic or Sony? Thanks for your help. Dale

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The key is to get a model with a top-rated de-interlacer chip like Faroudja or Silicon Image. Those Toshibas have a poor de-interlacer as does Sony and the new cheaper Panasonic models. The best quality is with the classic Panasonic models like the RP82, XP30, XP50 or Denon DVD-1600. There are several new/unopened XP30 models on EBAY for $300 or less, I'd recommend you go for one of those, I did and its great!

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
What is your budget?

Like Don said, you may want to look into models with the Faroudja or Silicon Image de-interlacers. That being said, you can still find the discontinued Denon DVD-900 with the Faroudja chip selling for anywhere from $100-$250. It's probably the cheapest DVD player you can find with the Faroudja chip.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Those are routinely available for abour $100 Factory Authorized Refurbs at ecost. Great deal.

Dale

Auditioning
Thanks to all of you so far. My budget would probably be around 300.00 Don't want to go too cheap. If it's worth the purchase to, so to speak, upgrade, and I would see and hear a difference, then I would buy at your recommendations. Thanks again.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
At $300 you can afford any of the following Faroudja-based players:
Mitsubishi DD-8040
Denon DVD-910
Denon DVD-1600
Panasonic XP30

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Dale, I take it you have a progressive-capable monitor or HDTV? The 3109 isn't a progressive-scan model, and unless your TV is capable of accepting a progressive signal neither Silicon Image nor Faroudja deinterlacers will do you much good.

Adam

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What Adam said. And, so, if you're using an NTSC-only display then you're just fine with that 3109 -- it was a much-respected second-generation machine that should continue serving you well until you're ready to upgrade to the wonderful world of progressive-scan video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks