What's new

DVD player won't pass DTS signal! Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
So I get my Onkyo 595 receiver yesterday and am excited about having DTS (since my JVC receiver was DD only), all the while knowing that my ole' GE 1105p was notorious for half the production line supporting DTS and the other half not (depending on firmware). And of course, lucky me... mine doesn't pass a DTS signal, so I'm still DTS-less.
angry.gif

So I need suggestions on a new player for my birthday next month. My criteria are pretty simple:
1) I'm hooking it up via S-video and optical digital TOSLINK, so I don't necessarily need component video, coax digital, etc.
2) I want something relatively trouble free (meaning I don't want to suddenly end up with a lot of discs that don't work or that have seamless branching or layer change problems).
3) It's hooking up to a 32" 4:3 set, so I want something with a decent downconversion of anamorphic material (although I'm sure most brands handle this better than my GE does anyway).
4) I'd like it to be able to play CD-R's if possible, but if the price is right, I can live without this.
5) Cheap is good, so long as the above criteria are met. :)
Thanks for any suggestions you guys have!
[Edited last by Jeremy Anderson on July 18, 2001 at 09:45 AM]

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I 2nd the Panasonic. A friend of mine has one & the picture on it is really nice & that's comparing it to my Proscan DVD player which has great down conversion. You may even want to look at the 5 disc Panasonic model for a little more money.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I was looking at the Panasonic CV-51 (the 5-disc one), since I can get it for $206 + shipping. However, a local store has the RV-31 for $199 + tax, so the instant gratification bug may bite me first.
Does anyone know how the RV-31 handles stuff like The Abyss or Terminator 2 with seamless branching? And how's the layer change on this thing? The GE I have now drops out the audio for about 2 seconds at the layer change.

Jonathan_M

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,
I've got the RV-31K. I really like it a lot. Picture quality is excellent on my 36" direct view. It does take a moment on the layer change. It's less than 2 seconds, more like 1 second I'm guessing.
Plus, at $199, the price is right!
icon14.gif

------------------
"We're hosed. We lost the remote."

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I'm pretty much settled on the RV-31K at this point... especially since I just got the letter telling me what my tax rebate would be! (WHEE!!!!)
I have only one more question (and it's nitpicking really): Anyone using this model with a RatShack 15-1994 remote? Just want to make sure I don't buy a model that I can't program my remote for ('cause I do so love having a single backlit remote for everything).

Users who are viewing this thread