What's new

dvd player with widescreen tv (1 Viewer)

Al Hammond Jr

Auditioning
My mom recently got my father a toshiba 50 inch widescreen hdtv. For christmas she got him an apex ad-1500 dvd player. Is this player going to be ok for this tv, are there any special wires we may need, to make the picture the best it can be? Does the type of dvd player really matter, dont they all just do the same thing?

Ken Briggs

Auditioning
Mr. Hammond, the Apex DVD player may have compromised electronics and features that may limit your DVD experience when your Toshiba HDTV monitor is combined with a audio/video receiver and 5 speakers + a powered subwoofer.

As far as connections go, your Apex may or maynot have component video outputs. These female RCA type jacks are colored RED BLUE GREEN and should be connected directly to your Toshiba's component/colorstream inputs on the rear of the television for the best picture quality. In order to utlize the players digital sound output (if supplied) you will need a audio/video receiver with Dolby Digital/DTS processing.

Is the Apex player good you ask? It is commonly agreed that "No" it is not.

Al Hammond Jr

Auditioning
So why is it that the apex isnt as good as any other dvd player, and what is an example of a dvd player that would be good for this tv. Thanks for the help.

Al Hammond Jr

Auditioning
one other thing, right now I am mainly concerned with the video quality. I'll have to worry about sound later, my dad doesnt mind the sound from the speakers so that will be another holliday or something. So what is the best dvd player in terms of picture on this tv. I read somewhere about configuring a dvd player for a 16:9 tv vs a 4:3 tv. I have no idea what that means or how to do it, or if the widescreen is considered to be 16:9. Is there a such thing?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I read somewhere about configuring a dvd player for a 16:9 tv vs a 4:3 tv. I have no idea what that means or how to do it, or if the widescreen is considered to be 16:9. Is there a such thing?
I recommend starting with the HTF Beginners Primer and FAQ, which address many such questions. If you have further questions after looking at the FAQ, ask away.
M.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I am guessing that the Apex DVD player will work fine for now. YOu can connect it up as easily as a VCR except an S-video cable will be preferable to a "regular" or composite video cable. Component video connections (if you have them) are even better, you need all three cables for the red, green, and blue jacks.
For any DVD player and your widescreen TV, set the player "TV Shape" or "Aspect Ratio" option to 16:9 and leave it that way. If this choice is a menu, the screen will be intelligible while you are making the choice. Sometimes you have to start playing a DVD to do this. Then stretch the picture for each movie to look as best as you can, using the TV remote.
What I have heard about el-cheapo unfamiliar brand DVD players is that they don't last as long before you start to see skipping or even complete breakdown. You may want to return the player on this suspicion alone.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks