DVD Player with DVI-D output?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter.LeBlond, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Peter.LeBlond

I'm considering purchasing a Plus Piano front projector and it has a DVI-D input. Besides building a HTPC, are there any set-top DVD players currently out (or officially announced) that could make use of this port?

I'm only guessing, but I would imagine that the final picture quality would be greatly increased if the Piano's built in line doubler could get at the video without an additional D/A and A/D conversion.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No set-top DVD players with DVI have been announced to my knowlege, though I expect some in the next 12 months

HTPC is the only way to go right now

3. Tom Edge

Tom Edge Auditioning

I believe the Tag McLaren DVD32r/flr has a DVI output.

Regards.

4. David Olstein

Faroudja has announced a new product, the Digital Cinema Source, which combines a DVD and a Native Rate Scaler in one box. It has a DVI output, but you'd want to bypass the Piano's built-in line doubler, since the Digital Cinema Source would already have scaled the video to the projector's resolution.

Oh, and did I mention that the Digital Cinema Source can be yours for a cool ten grand?