DVD player with 'DTS' logo on it but cannot *play* DTS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    That never made any sense to me. My DVD player has the DTS logo right on the front but...cannot play it. So why's the logo on there in the first place?

2. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

You probably have to turn it on in the menu. It wouldnt have the logo if it couldnt play it.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Michael,
    What do you mean by "it can't play it"?
    Having a DTS logo simply means to can recognize and pass the digital stream for DTS via the digital output on the player... it's doesn't necessarily mean that it has internal decoders setup to handle DTS for analog outputs. So if your passing analog (either 2 channel or 6 channel amnalog) from the player, don't expect it to decode DTS internally...
    And as Jeff posted, if you trying to pass DIGITAL Dts stream, there is likely a setting in the player's menu which enables DTS output. You must enable it. Most players come with the digital pass for DTS turned off (a safety feature which prevents you from sending DTS to a non-DTS receiver and causing horrible noises).
    This is covered, by the way, in our FAQ AND PRIMER document since it is a very common occurance:
    Not Able To Get DTS Audio? by John Garcia
    You might consider checking out this document- you might find answers to other issues you've wondered about...
    -Vince

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

1. Make sure that DTS playback is enabled in your player's setup menu. (Most players ship with DTS playback disabled.)

2. Make sure you're selecting the DTS track from the disc's menu.

3. And, of course, make sure your receiver or processor can decode a DTS signal and that you're using a digital connection between the player and the receiver/processor.

If your player has the logo, I'm sure it can play DTS. What model is it? Chances are good that someone else here has it and can confirm its capabilities.

M.

5. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

I had an HK 320 and a Pioneer DVD 440 for my HT part. Being a 2 channel guy and having an aversion to manuals, I couldn't figure out how to get DTS to work, kept not making sound. I finally figured it out when watching Jurassic Park 3. Not only do you have to select from the DVD option menu the DTS soundtrack, but also (on my player) you have to use the players settings on the DVD and tell it to output a DTS signal to the digital outputs. So it's two steps. I thought you would just click on the DVD menu for the disc and the player would just "know".

The administrators post above has a good point about making sure you have a digital coax or toslink connection and are not running analog outs. Actually I think he covers everything but I wanted to say your not alone.

6. Herman S

Herman S Agent

I actually had a situation with my Marantz DV6200. I bought it refurb. online and after setting everything up and making the appropriate selections, I found it had problems decoding DTS. The problem was that the audio, during DTS, would cut in and out frequently. I exchanged it for a new one and the problem was solved.

If you have tried all the suggestions offered by the others above and it still does not work, try switching out your DVD player with another. Borrow one from a friend or I know many hi-end stores give loaners (be sure it plays DTS). If it still doesn't play then you know it's either the connections or your receiver.