What's new

DVD player with decoder and wireless rear speaker. (1 Viewer)

Sunny_P

Auditioning
Hi, I am new to this forum.
Currently I am trying to make a home theatre with wireless rear surround speaker. I am gonna use a receiver with decoder built-in and is 100watt/ch. For rear speaker he said there is a new product coming out which is a wireless transmitter that getting signal from DVD player surround output then it will transmit to a receiver at back that supply 50watt power and have 2 thin speaker wire connect to 2 rear speakers. In order to do that I must have a decoder built-in DVD PLAYER because the receiver does not have a separate RCA output for the transmitter.
My question is, how good are those wireless thing and is that true that the majority DVD players will have decoder built-in or is a trend that more and more decoder will be built-in in future?

Brad E

Second Unit
I have never listened to a wireless speaker. But my initial thoughts are skeptical, at best.
You would have to try it out and see for yourself, but more than likely it will degrade your sound quality more than improve it. Especally if it starts picking up your neighbors walkie talkie's or something like that.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sunny,

First, welcome to the Forum!

There are a couple of problems with what you’re trying to do here.

First, all the wireless speakers on the market that I’ve seen are low powered. In your case, the rears will deliver half the power your front speakers are getting. This might be fine in a small room, but if you happen to have a larger open-concept living area, and like to listen to movies at near the levels you hear in theaters, the rear speakers are going to run out of steam and distort.

Also, if you’re buying a specific wireless set for the rears, they will not be a match for the sound of the front speakers – i.e., the voicing qualities will be totally different. This can be really distracting when sounds pan from the front to the rear. It’s generally best for all the speakers to sonically match as close as possible.

Second, your idea to use a DVD player with a built-in decoder will not work, because you will have no volume control of the rear speakers. Those DVD players are designed to feed their signals into a receiver for volume, tone control, etc., not go directly to amplification. In your case, you will not be able to adjust the volume of the rear speakers, and the level of the rears will remain constant when you turn the receiver’s volume up and down.

If you really want to go the wireless route, you’ll need a receiver with RCA outputs for the rear channels.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Sunny_P

Auditioning
Thanks for the Info ^^
I have a few more questions, How popular is a receiver that comes with a rear surround rca output? and what kinds of price range they belongs to?

Is that true that most DVD player have decoder built-in? or is the trend that more and more DVD player will have decoder built-in?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sunny,

Receivers with pre-outs for the rear are pretty common on all but the bottom-of-the-line models. Check the manufacturer’s web site before you buy to make sure the ones you’re interested in have them.

It was fairly common for early DVD players to have built-in decoders, but they’re becoming increasingly rare, because most people rely on the receiver to do the decoding.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Sunny_P

Auditioning
This is what I am looking at, this price range consider bottom of the line? I am trying to see what the standard price for not bottom ^^

Our Price: $499.99
You Save: $50.00

Sale: $449.99

Yamaha 510W 6.1-Channel Dolby Digital EX/DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Home Theater Receiver

Model: HTR-5660

Sweet! A top-end home theater receiver that truly sounds like the best of movie theater surround sound systems. Power-packed with multiple 6.1-channel decoders and a host of goodies below.

510 watts total power; 85 watts RMS x 6

Digital AM/FM stereo tuner with station presets and auto FM Station Memory that automatically presets the 40 strongest stations on the FM band

6-4 mixdown function allows you to experience 6-channel surround sound with 4 or 5 speakers, with or without a subwoofer

View More Photos

Check
Your Area

Product Features

Built-in 6.1 channel surround sound decoders for: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Sound, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, Dolby Pro Logic II Movie, Dolby Pro Logic II Music, Dolby Pro Logic, DTS Neo:6 Music, DTS Neo:6 Cinema

Yamaha exclusive surround modes ¡X Cinema DSP: Entertainment (Game), Music Video, TV Theater, Movie Theater 1 (Spectacle and Sci-Fi), Movie Theater 2 (Adventure and General), Enhanced; HiFi DSP: Concert Hall, Jazz, Rock, Disco, 6-Channel Stereo

Silent Cinema mode allows you to enjoy multichannel music or movie surround sound through conventional stereo headphones

Night Listening function, available in all surround modes, emphasizes dialog and minimizes loud sound effects (to avoid disturbing others) while maintaining proper balance and dynamic range

Center graphic equalizer lets you finely tune across all parameters and surround sound modes for the optimal movie sound

Digital ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) is the proprietary name of Yamaha's digital strategy to incorporate the most enhanced and advanced digital engineering and circuitry to create the best-sounding components

Extremely wide frequency range of 10-100,000Hz renders precision digital audio in DVD-Audio and SACD; THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) within a 20-20,000Hz range @ 85W RMS is a mere 0.06% for strong, clean, undistorted sound reproduction

Inputs: front panel aux A/V, including S-video for camera or video game, 4 optical digital, coaxial digital, 5 composite A/V each with S-video, 2 audio, composite video to S-video conversion; outputs: component video, optical digital, audio, subwoofer

Multibrand A/V remote with video source switching

Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year

Warranty Terms - Labour 1 year

Product Height 6-3/4"

Product Width 17-1/8"

Product Weight 28-1/2 lbs.

Product Length 15-3/8"

Component Video Input/Output 2/1

Composite Video Outputs 2

5.1-Channel Input 6.1

Front-Panel A/V Inputs 1

Front Surround Power per Channel 85W x 3

Digital Outputs 1 optical

Digital Inputs 4 optical, 1 coaxial

Dolby Digital Decoder Yes

Dolby Pro Logic Decoder Pro Logic II

DSP Soundfields 41

DTS Decoder Yes

Multiroom Capability Yes

On-Screen Display No

Phono Inputs No

Simulated Surround Yes

Station Presets 40

Stereo Audio Inputs/Outputs 2/1

Stereo Power per Channel 85W x 2

S-Video Inputs/Outputs 4/1

Preamp Outputs No

Rear A/V Inputs/Outputs 5/2

Rear Surround Power per Channel 85W x 3

Remote Control Type Preprogrammed

RF Antenna Input Yes

Total Harmonic Distortion 0.07% at 1kHz

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
Sunny, please preview your posts before posting them.
Scrolling down your last post was extremely annoying.
Cheers.

Sunny,

$500 is about the top of the "commercial" grade receiver level. Many HT snobs wouldn't dream of buying something like this, but in many (maybe most?) cases, they'll work great, especially if you're not pairing it with $10k in speakers. :)

However, for that much money, you can often find refurbished or "last year's model" units that are incredible deals, feature-packed, and from high quality manufacturers. It's a cheap way to step from the top of the low-end to the bottom of the high-end.

For example, Harman Kardon has a store at harmanaudio.com where they sell these types of units. You can get a refurbished AVR 525 with full warranty for $445. This unit probably blows the doors off the receiver you're looking at, and does have pre-amp outs for all 8 channels. I can personally vouch for the quality of HK's audio products, as can many people here.

That's just one of many options available from many different manufacturers you might consider in your quest for better sound.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Whoa!

This has gone from being a theoretical-type, beginner-level general discussion into brand and model recommendations. And since the recommendations concern receivers, I've moved the thread here to Receivers/Amps.

Please remember, the Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level only -- not specific model recommendations.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks