What's new

DVD player will not play widescreen (1 Viewer)

nate_b

Auditioning
I have no idea what might be causing this problem but recently when I try and view some of my widescreen movies, they will only play in full screen. Some movies ask at the menu to choose either FS or WS. I select WS and it shows it as FS. Many of these movies I've had for awhile now and this just started happening. Any ideas on what might cause this sort of problem? I have a JVC XV-M567 3 disc changer DVD player.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Nate, the only thing that makes sense is that in the DVD player's menu, the format got changed to 4:3. Check it out, and make sure the DVD player is set to 16:9(widescreen).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Actually, if the original poster has a 4:3 TV, the advice should be the opposite. If the DVD player is set to 16:9 and he has a 4:3 TV, anamorphic widescreen films (at least those in 1.78:1, 2.35:1 films will have small bars) will be stretched vertically to fill the whole 4:3 screen because the anamorphic downconversion is turned off. For a 4:3 TV, turn the "TV type" in the DVD player's setup menu to "4:3" or "Standard". If the 4:3 TV has anamorphic squeeze, that's a different ballgame. I'll sum it up here:

16:9 TV - Set DVD player to "16:9" (widescreen).
4:3 TV - Set DVD player to "4:3" (standard)
4:3 TV with anamorphic squeeze feature - Set DVD player to "16:9" (widescreen) and make sure the anamorphic squeeze is turned on when watching anamorphic (enhanced for 16:9) films

If the original poster lists his TV brand and model number, we can help out further with the exact settings.

nate_b

Auditioning
Thank you for all your help. I finally fixed it and I feel kind of stupid now. I've had my DVD player for about 3 years and in the dvd menu I had the aspect set up at 16:1 WS and it always worked. I changed it to 4:3 WS and it fixed my problem. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks