What's new

DVD Player W/O Decoders & Progressive Scan (1 Viewer)

Randy Marcoot

Auditioning
First time poster, long time reader - off and on since the early days of dvd.
I am currently entrapped in an upgrade cycle. I just purchased a Denon AVR 5800 to replace my Yamaha DSP A3090. With that upgrade, I feel I am in pretty good shape (8 Mirage speakers, Electrohome 4100 CRT Projector, IEV Turboscan line doubler). However, my current DVD player is the Sony S7000 (oldie but goodie)and the only complaint I have is that it does not output the DTS bitstream. So I have considered upgrading (right now I am using my SP2 for DTS playback).
I have read all the glowing reports and recommendations for Panasonic RP 91 and it sounds like a great machine. However, I really don't need the scaling feature because I am using either 4:3 or 16:9 mode from my projector.
I also question the need for onboard decoders because I have that capability with my receiver.
Finally, I question the need for progressive scan since I am already getting a doubled (progressive) picture.
Now for the questios (thanks for the patience). Are my assumptions correct. If they are, what DVD would you recommend?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Sounds like you have quite the system now. I have seen other questions regarding progressive players and some of the answers have been that a progressive player feeding the signal directly to the tv/projector is a better quality pic than a non-progressive player going thru a line doubler...
I haven't seen any progressive players that don't have onboard decoders...
------------------

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmmm, I'm pretty sure that JVC's new $250 progressive scan player (forget the model number) lacks DD/DTS decoding.
You can get Sony's reference S7700 model, which does output a DTS bitstream, but it's rather costly for an interlaced player. But I would probably try out the Panasonic DVD-RP91. Even though it is progressive (also has excellent features and build quality), compare its direct progressive signal to its interlaced signal going through your line doubler. Most stores have a decent return policy so you can always return the player if you're not satisfied.
------------------

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know much about Front Projectors, so forgive some pretty basic sounding questions here.
One of the hits against external line doublers has always been that they have to take a analogue signal, headed to the TV for display, and re-digitize it to do the 3:2 pulldown detection and line doubling, then convert it back to analogue for display (unless you have a DLP). In this conversion process there is usually some loss in the colour PQ. This is one of the advantages of progressive DVD players as the 3:2 pulldown and line doubling is down inside the players firmware while the signal is still digital.
When you play a Widescreen non-anamorphic DVD, say with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, how does your projector scale this to the right anamorphic geometry, or does the Turboscan do the scaling?

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
Randy,
Actually, the IEV Turboscan doesn't employ 3-2 Pulldown Detection for deinterlacing film material. Therefore, the use of the progressive-scan player with 3-2 Pulldown detection should give you better performance with film sources (such as DVD movies).
I highly suggest you check out the new Kenwood Soveriegn series players being released this month (5700M and 5900M). The 5700M is a 5-disc carousel and the 5900M is a 400+3 disc carousel. Both are DVD-Video/DVD-Audio players, use the new Faroudja FLI2200 deinterlacing chips, and employ chroma-bug free mpeg2 decoders. The 5900M also employs the Faroudja DCI video enhancing chip.
I've seen the the 5700M going for preorders for about $800 and the 5900M for about $1000-1100.

J

John Morris

Don't want a RP91? OK, check out some other units from Panasonic.
RV31 - Bare bones quality DVD player - $179
CV51 - a Carousel RV31 DVD player - $229
RP56 - Progressive 54/10 video - $229
RP61 - Progressive 54/10 video,192/24 DACs,DVD Audio - $269
Of these, I'd opt for either the RV31 or if you want DVD audio, the RP61.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
NONE OF THE ABOVE..
Randy my friend, you need to get yourself an HTPC to fully appreciate what your remarkable PJ can display.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Randy Marcoot

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies so far. A lot of food for thought.
I appreciate the different model suggestions. Regardless of which direction I go, it appears as if I may well wind up with some unused capabilities.
It does sound as if I might get some picture improvement by by-passing my line doubler and directly projecting the progressive output from the DVD player.
**Darrl_B** thanks for the info on the IEV Turboscan but I am not sure how I can go about bypassing it with the DVD signal. The IEV does not take direct component connections but uses an RGB input and converts the component inputs. I understand that the IEV will not work as a component to RGB converter. Any suggestions on how to get around this issue?
Thanks again for all the good advice. Any further opinions would also be appreciated.
Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks