What's new

DVD player w/ Digital 5.1? or just Dolby Digital? (1 Viewer)

I'm a little unsure here. I just returned a Pana F-85 (or F-84 I've already put it out of mind). The manual said that if I use the digital audio output I would only get two channels. Until today, I thought that if the DVD player had digital out, that I would be taking advantage of all dolby 5.1 DVD's.
My question is: if I want to take advantage of the 5.1 (new Onkyo xt-sr 701 6.1, new speakers) on DVD, do I have to be sure it says it will be dolby 5.1, or is there something else (like Dolby Prologic II) that essentially does the same (5 channel/1 sub)thing that I am missing on the features list?

Thanks

Bryan

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I think the manual is wrong, or you misinterpreted it.

I would wager that virtually all current DVD players with a digital out will pass a DD 5.1 signal.

You may have read a part of the book where they describe a feature that allows you to downmix DD to PCM for decoding in a receiver or other device that lacks Dolby Digital capability.

BGL

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Good wager. It is part of DVD specifications that the player be able to pass a DD stream. All DVD players have to have an optical or coax out and pass DD 5.1. The poster was probably looking at the section on PCM downmixing, like you surmised.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Bryan; I hope you got a very good deal on that since it's a deleted item!

Just a heads up.

Brent

Thanks,

I misinterpreted the DVD-Audio, a different animal than DVD video, which I was incorrectly assumed that the DVD-Audio was the soundtrack portion of the disc. It is different, or Panasonic thinks it's different.

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks