What's new

DVD player -vs- Universal DVD player? (1 Viewer)

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
I was considering purchasing a good universal player until I read another thread that said they had a far superior DVD player (Denon 1600?) for video than the new "top end" universal players.

Should I consider getting a GREAT dvd player just for video and a universal type player for dvd-a/sacd?

I don't mind waiting on the universal as I think the prices will come down shortly perhaps even with better features.

What think you;)

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
bump:b

Surely someone has an opinion on this!?!

My dealer said yesterday that the Denon 2900 was Denon's best outside of the DCM 8000 or whatever that $2,500 thing is called.

DavidK

Grip
Phil,
Well there simply is no perfect player...and may never be. When you say a "good player" you need to put a dollar amount and state some specifics as to YOUR major needs/requirements...videowise/audiowise/etc.

Some people's approach is people go with multiple units to get the best they can to meet their specific needs...for audio &/or video. Of course this aproach is more expensive as you must buy mutiple units & the cabling (multiple 5.1 analog can be a nightmare) and have the needed space, etc.

Others go the "Universal" player route and try to find the best amalgam of specs/features in a single unit. Some eschew this approach becasue they feel it results in products that are a "jack of all trades and a master of none". But some Universals are now beginning to be of higher quality...and will continue to improve with each succeeding generation.

You just have to decide your budget, and what you can live with..hopefuly timing your purchases wisely to lessen obsolecense (it can't be eliminated). All this in an ever changing "flowing river" of technology. I.E. at some point everyone buys in to different technologies, and then your on the upgrade wagon for the rest of your life.

Another path people take is to not buy in too early into new/emerging, and hence expensive technology...I.E they buy used/older high end equipment, and they continually trade up and stay just behind the "technology curve".

Yet another tack is to buy modestly priced, but basically very sound/well made equipment and have it mod'd by a 3rd party, or themselves. Some will even pay more for extreme high end mods for state of the art performance.

In the end, you decide upon your budget & your specific needs/desires and make the decision that best meets your needs. Forums like this are invaluable for determing the needs/specs/faults etc upon which to make an intelligent decision, that does indeed meet YOUR needs.
Good luck...
David

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I was not specific enough. I am willing to spend $1,000 + dollars on a dvd specific player and another $1,000 plus on a universal type player for audio if I can achieve the following.

1)DVD player would have superior video over universal
player. Connected with digital cable or fiber optic.

2)Universal player would have superior DVD-A/SACD (AUDIO)
or at least as good. Connected with analog.

My question was and still is, would I be doing better to segrigate these two units or do the new high end universal players stand up to the challange?

Thank you in advance for any input to this topic.

DavidK

Grip
Phil,
What's your associated equipment, and what are your audio & video viewing listening preferences?

Just guessing here. But one thought is with your $2K budget you could buy a Denon 2900...& then IF you were OK with its audio, but not its video, you could then try to find a panasonic XP50 or 82, or Denon 1600 for the video. You could also buy a Phillips 963A for better upsampled CD quality if you so desire.

You can get all 3 of the above (2900, XP50/82, & 963A) for less than your $2K budget. Or you can wait for the new Fall releases from Denon, Pioneer, Sony, etc (Universals, HTIB & separates). Or you can explore Ebay/Audiogon/etc for used high end seperates. Or for more $'s, you can look at the new crop of high end Universals (Esoteric, McCormick, Bel Canto, Lexicon, TAG McLaren, etc). You have lots of choices. Where possible, personally audition as much as you can.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I am probably not going to tell you anything you do not already know, but....

The Denon 1600 is the best player currently available in terms of its video performance in the Secrets shoot out. Whether you would actually see a difference if you compared this player to another, using properly encoded software, is a subject of great debate.

As far as audio, you will find opinions that say you should get a pure SACD player AND a DVD-A player, rather than a uni.

Of course, almost anything that plays SACD will also be a DVD-V player. Same for DVD-A. The 1600 does DVD-A and is a top notch DVD-V player. I do not know if there is a SACD player that also has top notch video performance.

Also, some users feel that the SACD section of a uni player is by definition compromised.

And lastly, I don't think there is ANY player out there that handles either of the hi-rez audio formats that does not have some issues with either Bass Management, Time Alignment, or both.

FWIW, I have a Pioneer 45A uni-player. While its video performance is DFL in the Secrets test, you would not know that by watching a good DVD through it.

Its audio performance, with good software is to my ears fabulous. I have never heard better sound in my room. However, I do use it with an ICBM, because I was not happy with the crossover choice in the player. There are also some issue with BM on certain DVD-A titles that the ICBM addresses. It also lacks TA for SACD.

I have even read posts from other users raving about its redbook performance.

So, its a complex question, with many possible answers. And no matter your choice, someone will chime in to tell you its the WRONG choice.

BGL

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
This is kinda what I was thinking and have gathered. It seems that their is not a great choice in the mid price range that is a conscientious decision.

As mentioned, I think I will go with a universal player at first and if I do not like the video quality then change to something else.

Perhaps with fall around the corner I will even wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks