DVD Player Video Quality

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by hendricksonET, Jan 19, 2006.

1. hendricksonET

hendricksonET Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony 5-Disc DVD Player. When I purchased it I assumed that Sony made decent quality products and it matched my new Sony LCD RPTV. I use component video and when I'm watching DVD's the pictures isn't as clear as I would like it to be, maybe I'm just too picky. Sky's sometimes are pixly and when panning it isn't smooth. I'm wondering if I jumped up to a Denon or similar DVD player if this would solve my quality issues.

Thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Actually, I doubt it. One thing that seems pretty apparent after all these years is that legitimate DVD players made by the major manufacturers are pretty consistent in their overall picture quality. Some edge out others in certain areas, but the differences are minimal. I'd be more likely to attribute the things you're noticing to your LCD-based display (particularly in the panning scenes).

3. hendricksonET

Are these issues apparent with front projectors? Also, when I watch HD shows the sky's aren't pixely and I don't notice any panning issues.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Depending, depending, ect,... with front projection the image from DVD could be worse than your's...? Your question requires a treatsie to answer fully.

1080i has atleast twice the image quality of a DVD, proably a bit more. DVD may be called 480i but with all the filtering, the reality is that it's proably more like 450i.

Expousure to HD can lessen one's appreciaton of the DVD format. It has for me...

5. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

If your RPTV has digital video input, such as DVI or HDMI, you may be able to get noticeably sharper DVD playback utilizing the digital video connection instead of component video. If your TV can handle 720p or 1080i natively, you may also get benefit from upconversion. I'm saying may because in my experience TV and DVD player combination plays a factor.

Using DVI input on my Sony plasma display, I can

- see huge improvement with LG DVB418 upconverted to 1080i.
    - not see much difference with Zenith DVB318.
    - not see any difference with Samsung.

Obviously your mileage will vary too.

6. hendricksonET

As far as video/audio quality do you like your LG?

7. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

Having trialled Linn and Integra I can reassure you that when it comes to DVD players price is rarely a reflection of value for money. Certainly not if you're looking for a perceptible difference in picture quality.

Movies are encoded at 10bit/ 27 mhz - there really hasn't been any stellar breakthroughs in picture quality in the last 2 years. I can't see a difference between 12bit/ 108mhz video decoders and 14bit/ 216 mhz decoders.

If you wanted to upgrade get someting affordable but decent- nothing above $500. I think the American Panasonic s97 would be the go.

Ditto the comments from Jack Briggs

8. hendricksonET

Yes, I've actually been looking at that for a bit now. Seems to be the best value at that price.

9. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

I am very happy with the audio and video quality, especially for the price. There are a couple of known quirks with DVB418. If you can live with them DVB418 will be a good choice.

The biggest known issue is the inability to display WTW (whiter than white). You lose detail in an extremely bright scene, but I rarely notice it. The only time I notice it is with one animation title with super bright all snow scenes.

I bought it for like $60, and I don't think there is ANY player that comes even close at that price. Oppo at $200 is probably the closest contender.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

hendrickson, how old is your player? The cheapie players now often perform much better than players that cost thousands several years ago, so it's quite possible that you could improve your image quality.

Another obvious question is, have you calibrated?

I'm not sure I would agree with jack, I would with the caveat that differences will become much smaller and less noticeable on smaller displays than on large-format and front projection displays, but I still consider something like the $3.5K Denon 5910 to be significantly better than an entry player for those critical kinds of applications, and not in minimal ways.

11. hendricksonET

Chris- Its a Sony DVP-NC875V 5 disc dvd player. When I bought it the price was around $130 or so.

I have calibrated to a certain extent. A friend of mine works with retouching photo's and knows how tints/hues/etc should be, so I'm not sure if the AVIA or simliar dvd would be even better.

I'm planning on building a HTPC now so I'm going to see how well DVD playback will be for that. There are some programs I've read about that should help with some video quality issues. We'll see what happens.

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

he may be good with photos, but that doesn't mean he knows anything about video or imaging standards. That he did not use any test patterns tells me he does not, so I definitely recommend aligning your display with test patterns.

HTPCs can be excellent sources, a good video card, like the newer nvidias with purevideo, with VMR9 renderless is excellent. I can recommend Theatertek as a great player as well with this kind of combination.

13. hendricksonET

Yeah, no test patterns except for what was on one of my THX certified DVD's [​IMG]

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into a few options of video cards, but can't find review site that reviews how they do with movies. Gaming has moved up with graphics so I've been basing most of my decisions on that. I'm pumped to get it built b/c I've seen multiple sites with before and after shots of how the persons dvd's look and its night and day. When I get it built I'll add a before and after section to my HT page.

14. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

there is a great deal of discussion at AVS about video cards, the sort of running reference for video is the newer Nvidias with the purevideo, the 6600s and such. There are new ATIs which look like they're taking a leap forward, so that's good news.