What's new

DVD player vibration dampening - worked for me (1 Viewer)

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
I use my DVD player to play CD's. It is setting on a wire rack shelving unit that vibrates pretty significantly when I turn up the volume. I got a hold of some scrap, closed cell insulation at work. It's about a 1/2" thick and feels kind of like those gel filled wrist pads for keyboards.

I put a small square under each foot of my Pioneer DV-525 DVD player. The overall sound quality is much better. The only way I can explain it is maybe the vibration was causing a lot of read errors which caused a harsher sound.

I've seen this type of tweak mentioned before, but didn't think there was much substance to it. If you haven't tried it before, you might want to.

HankM

Second Unit
Under my Panasonic RP-91 I use 4 #1 Vibrapods. At $6 each they are pretty incredible for isolating components. I also use 6 #2 Vibrapods under my PS Audio Power Plant.

RicP

Screenwriter
I took the gel wrist rests for computer keyboards and placed 2 of them under my Pioneer Elite 29TX receiver. Completely removed the vibrations from travelling through the rack to the other gear.

Vibration Isolation is a cheap and very effective tweak.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Ray, I've got the Pioneer 535 DVD player, and I find that the transport mechanism is kind of noisy and the case is not very sturdy. What I did was place a few bags of sand in ziplock bags on top of the player, and this damping decreased the whirring of the transport and also improved the sound (better soundstage for sure). Since it costs so little, there's no harm in trying :D
Cheers,
Mike

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I always thought this was just another gimick to sell accesories we really don't need, apparantly I am wrong. I want to try this now. Do you put them under every piece of equipment or only equipment with moving parts?

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
A folow up question, for those using the gel wrist rests, do you have any problem from heat? I keep my equipment fairly well ventilated but I know from experiance gel can store heat.

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
Mike_Ch,

I was actually thinking about taking the cover off my DVD player and painting the inside of the cover with rubberized paint. I figured this would provide additional vibration dampening, but also quiet it down some.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I use sand bags under, and on top of my DVD player, CD transport, and amps. I am still amazed at the difference. I just added a couple of amps a week or so ago, and was a little disastisfied with the soundstage width. I added the sand, and viola! :)

Eujin

Supporting Actor
RayR, if you want to reduce vibrations inside the cabinet of your player--both DVD and CD--simply get some Blu-tak or other "tacky" stuff and line the inside lid, walls or anything else you think might be vibrating. Just be careful not to get it in the way of any circuit boards, etc. You can also use some double-sided tape like the kind that's used to affix rugs to floors to line the inside lid with cork.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks