What's new

DVD Player Upgrade-Need Help (1 Viewer)

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the upgrade bug and need to ask for some advice. My current DVD player, the Pioneer DV-414, is coming up on 3 years old and I'm thinking about replacing it. It's working just fine, however, and has handled every disc I've thrown at it (including the Monty Python and The Holy Grail DVD) without problems. I'm strictly looking at the interlaced performance of a new player, since I'm utilizing a 27" Wega w/16:9 enhancement, and no plans for an HD RPTV in the near future. I've followed Ron-P's recent thread with great interest, since all of the players he auditioned are the ones that I'm most interested in.
My question is this: Will I see/hear a noticeable improvement with a new player (i.e., RP-56, Sony 700) in interlaced mode on my 27" set? If I don't have to spend the money now, I'd prefer not to. BTW, the rest of my setup includes an Onkyo 595 receiver w/Polk speakers all around and a Pioneer CLD-501 LD player.
The only other wildcard in this equation is DVD-audio, which I wouldn't mind having. My thoughts are, though, that in the next few months, this will become a more common feature in the $200-300 player range, so maybe I should wait.
I would appreciate your thoughts in this matter. Thanks in advance.
------------------
--------
Ted K.
My DVD Collection

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
look at the new Panasonic RV60. it was supposed to be the '61 and include progressive out and DVD-A, but they cancelled this one and made the '60 without progressive. i'd also consider the new Toshibas (SD4700 and SD5700), which are beginning to be in stock now!
biggrin.gif
they both have DVD-A and progressive, and are below $300. im not aware of another player (in this price range) that does DVD-A without passing progressive scan.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Sony has a new interlaced player you may want to look at. The DVP NS 500 also plays multi channel SACD for $300.
------------------
Mongo like HTF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks