DVD player under $450: Need Recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Martin, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Hello all!

A friend of mine is going to buy her husband a DVD player for Father's Day. She said the MOST she would spend is about $450.

I believe they have an older TV...not sure how old. They need something reliable, easy to use and set up. These are people who will NEVER have a fancy set up, so the need for a lot of fancy gizmos is not there.

I need to get back to her in a couple of days...any and all feedback is appreciated!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Then she doesn't need to spend $450. Any number of players in the low $100s would work--my bedroom-unit Tohiba SD-2800 would be nice. Does their TV have A/V inputs or just an RF coax input?

3. Michael Martin

I just talked with my friend and she said they own a Sylvania set that is a couple of years old, so chances are good that they have the i/o needed for easy set up.

So there are lower end ($200 to $300) DVD players that can be recommended?

4. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Panasonic RV32 for under US$175.

5. Jack Briggs

And the one I mentioned, the Tosh 2800--can be had for around $140 or so online. Got mine from Buy.com. Good bedroom unit.

Can your friends be pursuaded to upgrade from that Sylvania? A good 27- or 32-inch Toshiba with more than enough inputs can be had for so little.

6. Michael Martin

Jack, since they just bought their TV within a year or two ago, I highly doubt it. The husband loves technology and related stuff, but he's also a cheapskate, and the wife would probably still be fine watching pan & scan VHS.

I was going to recommend going with a Pioneer or Sony player, but you recommend the Toshiba?

7. Jack Briggs

Sure do, Michael. It's a nice little play and should serve them fine. I've tried its downconversion process once for somebody else here, and found it nowhere near as good as the image outputting at 16:9 (I do the "squeeze trick" on the bedroom display). But I doubt your friends watch things critically, so the Tosh's downconversion should work fine for them.

Good player, great price.

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Jack, I believe you did that comparison for me. [​IMG]
    I have an analog 27" TV and connected the Tosh 2800 and did a comparison to the Panasonic RV-32.
    The pictures were very similar, however, moving objects - such as people running or walking - exhibiting "jaggy" edges which I found a bit distracting. The Panasonic didn't exhibit this as much. So, I went with the Panny.