1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Player under $225

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoeO, Nov 24, 2001.

1. JoeO

JoeO Auditioning

Hi,

I am looking for a good DVD player under $225 for a gift for my son.

Thank you!

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

If you can spring an extra $24, the Toshiba 4700 is, in my opinion, one very fine DVD for the money, and is progressive scan to boot. Their 3700 is probably within your price range, and is most likely a very fine unit also, but I've never used one myself.

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Panasonic RP56 is right at $225 at Best Buy and can be had for less online. this is a top-notch player with very good reviews. i just got my dad to buy one today and i highly recommend it. (no chroma bug!)

4. JoeO

JoeO Auditioning

Hi Dana & Thomas,

Thank you very much for your help!

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Joe,

However, the RP56 has been known to have a flickering problem in progressive scan mode.

The Toshiba 4700 may be a nice starter player, although I haven't auditioned one. If it has the dreaded chroma bug (color banding and noise problem that many MPEG-2 decoder chips seem to have except for Panasonic's), then the Panasonic RV31 maybe a good bet (interlace scanning only).

Dan

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

If you want to stay under and don't need progressive scan, I suggest a Sony player. They have one for around $180. I have had a Sony player for over 3 years and have not experienced any problems.

7. Irens Cruz

Irens Cruz Stunt Coordinator

I would stay way from Sony. I have a S360 that just died on me and I found out that there are other hundreds of people with the same problem and Sony ahs done nothing about it.

I don't know if the new players have the same problem, but I'm not taking the reisk.

I would go for Toshiba 4700 or Panasonica RP56

Jr.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've had my Sony S-560 for over a year without issue. My Panasonic is around 5 yrs old, and it is still going strong.

9. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

The JVC 40/45 was advertised at Kroger(of all places) for $129.99. This is far cheaper than you can get it online. This was a post Thanksgiving sale, but if they have any left, I am sure that you could get it at that price.