What's new

DVD player to reciever (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I was just wondering, right now I have my DVD player hooked into my TV with it's Digital Coax cable plugged into the reciever. I don't have my DVD player hooked into the reciever through the analog outs. I'm wondering though,
1.) How would I hook my DVD player into the reciever through the composite connection?
2.) Do I get any benefits by hooking my composite connection into the reciever?
The other thing that I'm wondering is:
3.) How do I hook my reciever into the TV? I would like to occasionly get a little surround off of the TV.
Can someone please give me directions and advice on how to do these three things. Thank you.
-Keith-

Mike E W

Agent
Your first choice for video out would be component if you have it, then S-video, and last, the composite. The composite is the least desirable way to send a video signal and should be considered a last resort when you have no other option. If you have a reasonabley modern TV you should have audio out jacks. If your reciever has a TV input then you would run them to the audio in there. If not you can run it to an external input if you have that. Some TVs require the internal speaker to be turned off before they will send a signal. If you post your equipment specs someone can likly come back with something specific.

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
2.) Do I get any benefits by hooking my composite connection into the reciever?
You already have the preferred connection and the ability to pass bitstream to your receiver for decoding. If you use the Composite Stereo out, your DVD would do the decoding and downmix to stereo. I find no use for this unless your receiver is incapable of decoding some format your DVD Player is.
Or if your DVD Player's DAC's are superior to your Receiver's (although DAC's impacting sonic characteristics is still a debate) you can use the DVD Player's DAC's in the digital connection scenario by using a 'Direct' or 'Bypass' mode on your receiver. Depending on the make and model of your receiver, it may or may not be capable of bypassing it's internal DACS.
Hope this helps
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
How would I hook my DVD player into the reciever through the composite connection?
Do I get any benefits by hooking my composite connection into the reciever?
I think the answer you're after is whether or not there are any benefits to passing the DVD player's video through the receiver first. Well, it adds the convenience of letting your receiver switch the video instead of doing it on the TV itself. If your TV is cabable of component or s-video connections, you might want to use one of those instead for better picture quality.
The way you pass video through the receiver is simple. You just output the video from the DVD player to the DVD player's corresponding video input on the receiver. Then, you run a video signal from the "monitor out" jack on the receiver to a video input jack in the TV.
------------------

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
since my tv only accepts composite inputs, i have no issue running everything through my receiver. like nicholas said, it makes it really convenient to switch everything at one place. i run my dvd, vcr, md, cd & nintendo through it. then i just run the monitor out to my tv.
as far as sound from the tv: check to see if your tv has "audio-out" plugs. if so, connect them to one of your video inputs (labeled "audio-in"). personally, i use my vcr as the tuner so the sound is also being routed to the receiver.
if you're running s-video or component video, then it gets trickier...
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
My TV only has a composite connection. I guess it would just be easier to hook it all up through the reciever. Can I use normal composite cable to hook into the monitor out? I have the cable to do it but it includes the Red, and White audio connectors on it, it is not just plain yellow. Can I just use that or do I need to just get the yellow?
thanks for your help.
-Keith-

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
keith -
you should be fine using your existing yellow cable.
some argue that the video cable should be even more "robust" since it has to handle more information.
i use radio-shack stuff and the three cables look the same to me...but i've seen some high-end cables where the video cable looks "thicker"...
i'll wait till i get progressive & high-def to worry about those dang cables...
:)
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks