What's new

DVD player to receiver connection question regarding DTS discs (1 Viewer)

Thomas B

Agent
This is somewhat of a follow-up on a previous thread on connections between DVD player and receiver. As I noted earlier, my new Onkyo 595's manual says to connect BOTH the analog AND the digital inputs from the DVD player, apparently because digital-to-analog conversion isn't possible for recording from the DVD player's digital output. I replaced my old CD player with my Sony DVD player last year, so I currently use the DVD player for playing CDs. (WIll buy a new CD player later, so bear with me on this.) I have now connected my analog outputs from the DVD player to the CD input of the receiver, while leaving the digital coax output from the DVD player connected to the digital DVD input of the Onkyo. I notice that the DVD player's manual warns against a DTS signal passing through an analog connection by stating that "damage may result to the receiver or speakers when playing a DTS source through the analog connection." Now, if I am not actually listening through those analog connections (via the CD input of the receiver), but instead am listening through the digital connection (via the DVD coax input) while playing a DTS disc, would this potentially cause a problem with my receiver?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I cannot see how the analog connections could hurt anything.
I just learned I have to do the same thing: run both digital and analog from my DSS system.
I just got a new SVHS VCR so I want to record a few soccer games from my DSS (DishPlayer) onto tape.
But my DishPlayer is connected via a optical cable. So although I can see the video, the VCR outputs on the receiver get no sound with a digital source. So I have to run analog in parallel so the VCR will see some signal.
This might be why your manual suggests the same thing.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I notice that the DVD player's manual warns against a DTS signal passing through an analog connection by stating that "damage may result to the receiver or speakers when playing a DTS source through the analog connection."
Unless I'm missing something, the risk they're referring to exists only with DTS CDs. The DTS signal from a DVD would never be sent through the analog connection. But DTS CDs are encoded in an odd way that makes the DTS signal look like PCM -- which is why DTS CDs will play in all DVD players, not just the ones with the DTS logo.
When the signal from a DTS CD is processed through DACs that aren't prepared for DTS, the result can be a loud high-pitched noise that's quite unpleasant. If that were to suddenly hit your receiver at high volume, I suppose damage could result. It's happened to me once or twice at low volume, with no ill effects.
So if you're playing any DTS CDs, you need make sure you've selected the DVD setting on your receiver, since that's where you have the digital input. Otherwise, I don't think you're at risk.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks