What's new

DVD player to PreAmp? (1 Viewer)

Aron

Grip
I'm in the process of getting a PreAmp and Amp setup. What will be the best way to connect my panasonic RP-91 DVD player to a PreAmp? Will the PreAmp have a Coax or Optical Connection like my receiver? Will the Digital connection be the best. I will be using balanced XLR connection betwen the amp and preamp. I'm mainly using this setup for stereo.

J

John Morris

What will be the best way to connect my panasonic RP-91 DVD player to a PreAmp? Will the PreAmp have a Coax or Optical Connection like my receiver? Will the Digital connection be the best. I will be using balanced XLR connection betwen the amp and preamp. I'm mainly using this setup for stereo.
Hi Aron, and welcome to HTF! I also own an RP-91 and yes, you will have a plethora of connection options. First, you have the option of connecting it, for audio, via either the optical or coax digital connections. Additionally, if you are interested in DVD-Audio playback, you will want to also connect the RP-91 via its' 5.1 analog outputs. If you buy a really nice preamp/processor with superior DACs, you may want to also use the digital connection for CD(redbook) playback. If not, you can also use the analog L/R connection for CD playback.

Alot of which options you choose, depend on how you want to use the RP-91 as well as which Pre/pro you decide to buy.

Once you decide those options, get back to us and we can be of more help!

However, since you already said that the RP-91 would be used for stereo only, and that your preamp/processor would support balanced connections, I can make a guess that you should just connect the RP-91 via a digital connection and use your preamp for all digital to analog conversion... please correct me if I am wrong.

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
could i possibly use both optical cable(for dvd-v) AND analog interconnect (for dvd-a) at the same time? the pre/pro i will use is the 950. thx
edit: spelling :)

J

John Morris

could i possibly use both optical calbe(for dvd-v) AND analog interconnect (for dvd-a) at the same time? the pre/pro i will use is the 950. thx
Hi Luke: Absolutely. That is how I had mine hooked up. Well actually, I eventually used a coax digital connection, but also tried an optical digital connection and found no difference in performance... afterall, I was beta testing the 950 and had to try everything I could. All outputs on the RP-91 are active at the same time. You decide which one you want to use by selecting it on the 950 pre/pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks