What's new

DVD player suggestions (1 Viewer)

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
I have been so wrapped up in my two channel system that I've lost track on the video side. I want to get a DVD player for my father for Christmas and I need suggestions on what to look for as far as features, quality, picture, etc. Things to look out for. Model suggestions.
He will be using it with an Onkyo 595, Mits 36" Tube via s-video. He probably will be using the 4:3 viewing format.
frown.gif

I don't think he will be upgrading the TV anytime soon. He hates the black bars. I am looking for a player that costs $200 street price.
I have the panasonic RV-80, which works fine for us. I read good things about panasonic and Toshiba players. Any help is appreciated. (I know Christmas is a long ways away, but I spent all MY money and need something to keep me busy
wink.gif
for awhile).
------------------
Rich G.

Scott _M

Auditioning
Best Buy's RV31 Panasonic looks sweet--and it's actually made in Japan! It has all the latest DVD-Video features (including mp3!) and it only costs $200. If I were you may search would be over--it will run rings around the RCA/Memorex/Apex/Whatwillitbenext units in that price range.

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Scott, that's what I was thinking. I was leaning towards a panasonic or Toshiba because I wanted to stay away from the rca's etc.
Any advise about 4:3 display features. Is it fair to assume that all DVD players will display a decient picture in 4:3 mode?
Thanks all,
------------------
Rich G.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No. Toshibas look awful in 4:3 IMO. Avoid Toshiba. Panasonics and Pioneers look OK, Sony looks fantastic. 4:3 conversion is an important aspect. I like Panasonics because they do 4:3 conversion well and have no chroma bug. I recently bought the Technics DVD-A10 for my 4:3 system.
My advice is that you won't noticably improve on your Panasonic RV-80 at the $200 level. Stick with that fine player for the time being and spend that money elsewhere, perhaps on the receiver.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on August 22, 2001 at 07:05 AM]

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
I've got 2 Sony players and have always been very pleased with the quality of these units. Superb picture quality, even on my 5 year old 32" RCA. The panny's have a nice picture too. My brother really likes his, but I don't like the remote. It's a nit-pick, but one of those things that matter to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks