DVD player suggestions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rod Martin, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Rod Martin

Rod Martin Stunt Coordinator

Rod
    I've been away for a while (years). I first signed up early on when DVD was just appearing and got in on some great DVD deals before the dot-com bust. I still have my first and only DVD player (a highly-praised Toshiba 2-disk model) which is still working wonderfully. But now my needs are changing...

I will most likely be moving from our (even older) 27" TV to an inFocus 4805 next week and need to move up to a progressive scan DVD player. Of course, DVD players are almost priced to be disposable now, and I'm looking for a good quality progressive scan player for under $175 that will deliver great pic and sound.

Back then, it was easy to compare what with only a handful of makers, but now, I have no clue who makes quality units. So speak up! Who are the better makers of players nowadays? Any good/great deals on excellent players?

All opinions appreciated!

2. Rod Martin

Rod
    Wow.

A whole weekend and not a single comment. This place used to be falling over with people willing to help others out.

3. John S

John S Producer

This is a little stumping these days....

If your looking for a good upconverting to HD resolutions player, lots of opinions.

But for this sort of thing, on new players... I don't have a comment. Buy cheap, the 4805 has an excellent de-interlacer built in, I'd suspect that it does just as good from a basic 480i player on component video.

4. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Go to this site: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi and checkout the benchmarks of a myriad of players. The previous two generations of Panasonic players are very well regarded. I'd also check out the Denon's since most of their players are rated highly and are of very good quality.

If you decide to go the upconversion route, then a quick search here and over at AVS will yield a wealth of information on the subject.

5. Rod Martin

Rod
    Thanks so much!

So it appears that I don't have to worry so much about the player's de-interlacer since the 4805 will handle that. Good to know.

Would upconversion be something I should be looking into if I'm going with the 4805? I thought upconversion was for display on HDTV. Maybe there's an advantage I'm not seeing?

Seems there's lots of new information to digest since I've last been in the market for a DVD player. Are there better decoding chips than others? I think I've seen some threads that warn against some particular chips (may not apply in my situation).

I will check out that link Allen, thank you! Anyone else have recommendations for DVD players that work best with an inFocus 4805?

6. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I'm not sure about the specs on the 4805 so I don't know if an upconverting player would benefit you or not. Assuming that your projector does 1080i then you might want to go that direction. You have to be careful though, because most new players only upconvert via DVI or HDMI output. You can still find older player (Zenith) or lesser known brands (Bravo) that will do so over component outputs.

7. John S

John S Producer

The 4805 is an ed projector. Upconversion shouldn't all to beneficial. But a good 480p via DVI/HDMI might be worth it for sure.

8. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I don't know too much about the newer players, but I can vouch for the Denon 1600 on the 4805 and it looking terrific. Right now I am using the 1600's de-interlacer as it is easier for me the way I have my equipment connected, but it looked just as good when I turned the progressive signal off. The de-interlacer in the 4805 is probably better than the 1600's. But, since the picture is already great, I'll go with the convenient way![​IMG]

I really like Denon when it comes to DVD players.

9. Rod Martin

Rod
    Allen and John,

Max vertical rez on the 4805 is 480 lines, so maybe the upconverting would be a waste, but I could definitely look at getting a DVD player with a DVI output. Only minor annoyance there might be that I would have to run the DVD player directly into the 4805 and not through my h/k AV75.

George,

Cool! I will definitely check out the Denon's, then!

10. John S

John S Producer

I know somebody that I installed a 4805 for. I saw no reason for them to replace their elcheapo 480i DVD player using component video. The 4805 provides a really great progressive scan.

11. Rod Martin

Rod
    Really??? I would think a progressive player would have to look better.

Another question...it's been so long since I was here last and I've forgotten so much...:b When I watch a DVD on my 27" right now, I can see stairstepping in on-screen objects that have sharp curved lines. I can't remember why I see that and what "fixes" it. I know it has something to do with fitting the widescreen image into the 4:3 screen I have and maybe not having enough resolution to show all the lines, so every nth line is removed... That will go away with the 4805 right?

12. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Rod,

The reason the picture looks really good when you feed the 4805 an interlaced signal has to do with the de-interlacer that the 4805 has. Instead of the DVD player doing the progressive scan, the 4805 does it.

As for the "jaggies" on your tv, that also has to do with interlaced versus progressive scanning. There's a lot of good stuff in the HTF Beginner's Primer, infowise. I'm sure it could explain things better than I can.

Ok, gotta go, the Cleveland Meet starts in a half an hour, and I still have a little bit of straightening up to do! :b

George

P.S. Here's the link for the Beginner's Primer/FAQ. As I said, it's good info. I still check it out now and again.

13. Rod Martin

Rod
    Okay, I finally remembered the term...I'm pretty sure the "jaggies" are related to anamorphic DVD's, which of course, the 4805 will correct. I just needed a knock on the head to remember [​IMG]