DVD player suggestions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff/M, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Jeff/M

Jeff/M Auditioning

Feb 14, 2005

Any suggestions for a DVD player?

I have a Toshiba TDP-MT8 front projector (built in DVDi Faroudja deinterlacer/scaler).

I'm using the component connection due to the long distance from the component rack to the ceiling projector.

THX processor/monoblocks/speakers.

Currently I'm using a cheap DVD player with 27 MHz 8 bit video DAC, which I'm sure is choking the potential of that projector.

What's the best input (via component) for this projector: 480p, 720p, 1080i? In other words, should the DVD player upconvert/scale, or let the projector do it?

2. Greg_Hammond

Greg_Hammond Agent

Jan 31, 2005
    I have been pleased with my Yamaha DVD-C750 5-disc changer. Price paid was around $299 locally.

The unit has progressive scan component outs, 12-bit/108 MHz video DACs, 192KHz/24-bit audio DACs, SACD and DVD-A compatibility, and a few things they don't specifically mention but I thought were really nice features:

- Plays DIVX, MPEG, WMA, and AVI movies burned to a DVD or CD recordable. So far, it is played -every- video codec I've tried, and that includes some of the more strange Indeo, XVid, DIVX, etc ones.

- Plays full-resolution WAV files ripped from audio CD that have been burned to DVD. If you don't want to cripple your music by ripping your CDs to DVD -- you can at least copy 7 audio CD's to a single-sided DVD-R. The player purportedly reads dual-layer burned DVD-R discs too, so that would be 14 CD's of audio on a single disc.