What's new

DVD player suggestions please (1 Viewer)

ccdoggy

Grip
Real Name
Steve
Hello, so i am pretty into HT, but need a new dvd player and personally i dont know too much about the stuff in my price range. Background on me, I work for a HT installation company (small, but really high end stuff) but i dont have the cash for he high end stuff i really want.

So here is what i need in a dvd player:
1. MUST play burnt dvds, i have a large collection of backed up dvds
2. output in Component, hdmi is not needed
3. in the price range of $120 or under off ebay or wherever (or + a bit if needed)
4. good audio output, would prefer digital and analog audio outputs.

Would be nice:
1. dvd-A playback
2. sacd playback
3. up conversion
4. comes in black

I have been reading about the oppo dvd players and am very intrigued by them, but need to know if they play burnt dvds. In reality all i want to have is something for playing dvds as i have my dieing denon dvd player for cds.

I currently have a Arcam AVR300 reciever, NHT classic threes for left and right, a Klipsch RC-64 center channel, custom sub, all on a old projector.

Thanks allot for you're help, its really hard to choose one when i dont have a chance to test any of them.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
A little bit over budget ($169), but my first pick for your needs would be the Oppo 980

1. MUST play burnt dvds, i have a large collection of backed up dvds yes
2. output in Component, hdmi is not needed yes
3. in the price range of $120 or under off ebay or wherever (or + a bit if needed) $169
4. good audio output, would prefer digital and analog audio outputs. yes

1. dvd-A playback yes
2. sacd playback yes
3. up conversion yes
4. comes in black yes

ccdoggy

Grip
Real Name
Steve
excellent suggestion, but for the life of me i cannot find any for sale. googled and ebay'ed.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
For the money, you won't find any better than the Oppo.
Only thing is.......the upconverting is done with HDMI (as with almost all upconverting dvd players). Oppo's 970HD (I think) will upconvert through component, with a hack. The hack is supported by Oppo. Their upconversion over component cables, will only work with non-copy protected dvds, so the backups should work, if not compressed too much.

ccdoggy

Grip
Real Name
Steve
Does anyone own a 980 that could do me a huge favor. If i sent you a burnt disk would you watch it and see if it works? I would really appreciate it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have the 980, and I can try my burned discs. If you want to send me one as well, we can arrange that. It generally depends mostly on burn speed and the media used.

ArtC

Grip
Real Name
Art Cohen
I've had an Oppo 981 for just over a month and haven't had any problem playing burned DVDs. It seems to play just about anything. I've converted a few VHS tapes to DVD and it's played DVD+R and DVD-RW media without a hitch. It's even played one very messed-up commercial DVD that I own which I've never been able to play on any other player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
He sent me a disc and we tried it out. Worked fine. I have also since tried a number of other burned discs and haven't had any not read so far.

Vinnie Scapelli

Auditioning
Real Name
Vinnie
I'm still stuck looking for MY system. Here is my posting relating to not being able to find a system (which, by the way, is NOT spam according to the posting rules here - but you have to insert the w w w and the h t t p please!) >>> hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?p=3102124#post3102124

...will the system you suggest solve my quest?

Thanks,
VS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks