What's new

DVD Player Subwoofer out connection (1 Viewer)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I recently purchased an additional Sherwood RD6108 receiver and a KLH 50 watt powered subwoofer for my home theater system. After I hooked up the subwoofer to the receiver, the bass response was not what I had anticipated. The receiver is a 100 watt per channel component and I think that since the sub is only 50 watts that could be the problem. Fortunately, my Panasonic DVD player has a subwoofer out jack on the back. The DVD player has a menu choice for Bass boost 1 or 2. When I set it to Bass boost 2 I get excellent bass response. Has anyone else had this problem, if so, will it damage my system to play the subwoofer through my DVD player? I have the speaker settings on the receiver to: FL-CS-RS and no subwoofer. I read in the manual for the receiver that setting the speakers to these settings directs the subwoofer signals to the woofers in the front R/L speakers. I have Sony floor standing speakers that are about chest tall. I just don't want to damage my receiver by sending the bass signals to the front speakers and then getting the subwoofer signal directly from my DVD player. Thanks.

Terence B

Auditioning
When you connect your subwoofer to the receiver try setting all of the speakers (especially the Fronts to small,or s). That should direct all of the low frequencies below the bass management cutoff to your sub.

If you are happy connecting the DVD LF output to your sub and choose to leave your fronts set to large you shouldn't cause any damage to your speakers or receiver. This setup will send the LF frequencies to the sub and the main speakers both.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Have you calibrated your speakers, Chuck?

If not you might get an SPL meter and a disk such as Video Essentials or AVIA and do so. This will give you an objective view of your system’s performance.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Actually no, I haven't calibrated them except with the test tones that come with the receiver. Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks