DVD player stopped recognizing/playing CDs. Anyone know why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Young, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Andy Young

Andy Young Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer 525. Played CDs as recent as a few days ago. Last night I put in the new Dixie Chicks CD and it spit it back out. Now it spits every CD out that I put in.

When I put in a CD, it spins around, starts and stops whirring several times (never plays any music), and then auto-ejects the CD. Occasionally, I can hear some digital blips and clicking and on 2 tries I've heard some sort of grinding noise (mechanical sounding). It does this with all CDs I feed it.

Still plays DVDs just fine, without a hitch or delay.

I haven't adjusted any of the settings and went through the set-up menus just to be sure.

Any ideas on what's wrong?

Thanks.

2. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

You should check your "laser"...

3. Andy Young

Thanks, but I'm afraid that I need a bit more instruction/information:

How does one check his laser?

Why is laser in quotes, which suggests that the object in question is not actually a laser? That is, do you mean that I should check (see above, as I'm unsure what this means) the laser diode in the player (which is, in fact, a laser), or some other light-emitting device that, while not an actual laser, is often called or confused with a laser? The inclusion of the quote marks has me confused as to what I should suspect as my root cause.

Is there a separate laser (and supportind circuitry) for the CD portion of the player? That is, why is the player's ability to play DVDs unaffected?

Why do you end your statement with an ellipse? Is this to suggest that this a fruitless effort, more advice is pending, no significance whatsoever?

Thanks.

4. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

My Pioneer player (DV-05) also developed this problem about year ago. If I insert the CD enough times, I can usually get it to play correctly, but it is a major hassle. I unforunately don't know of a solution beyond sending in for repair. I seem to recall a posting here with the same problem with Pioneer players a while ago. My player plays DVD fine though, and since I mainly play CD on my computer it isn't enough of a problem for me to buy a new player. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, though I do feel your pain.

5. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Agent

I too have this problem with my Pioneer DVD changer. I own three Pioneer "disc players" (in different rooms, in different audio systems).

One is LD only, one is LD/DVD, and one is a DVD changer only (of course, they're all supposed to play CDs), and all three have had problems. I bought them all new and use them lightly.

Like yours, my DVD changer still plays DVDs fine, but no longer plays CDs. I just added a Sony '555ES SACD player to this system, so I no longer need the Pioneer for anything other than an occasional movie, so it's not much of a problem.

The other two disc players seem to work "okay", but sometimes still have intermittent problems. When using them I'm walking on egg-shells. I feel like they'll stop working again at any moment. I'd get rid of them but I've already spent a few hundred dollars in repairs and I have a couple of hundred LaserDiscs.

I'm done with Pioneer equipment. Three strikes in a row and they're out.

6. Phil_O

Phil_O Stunt Coordinator

I was recently having similar problems with my Sony DVD player which has been scrapped due to the fact that the Sony rep I spoke with on the phone said it was probably the laser in the player. I was just trying to be funny before with the "laser" remark from Austin Powers. *over his head* WHOO~!

7. Andy Young

Dang, Phil, you really threw that one by me! I'm mildly retarded, so I didn't get it at all. :b
    Thanks for the input, all. I figured it was probably something catastrophic, but it never hurts to ask. Sometimes you guys figure out tweaks and fixes that solve these types of problems without having to rely on component-level repair.
    It was worth asking. I listen to CDs about once a month, so I'll probably ride out the DVD player until it dies altogether. BTW, my Pioneer Elite receiver also died on me. It was 4 months out of warranty, but Pioneer fixed it under warranty for me (only took them 3 months to fix it! [​IMG]). Nice of them to do that, but when I'm 0 for 2 on its electronic equipment, I doubt I'll buy Pioneer in the future.
    Andy