DVD player stopped reading DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert TX, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Robert TX

Robert TX Auditioning

I own a Panasonic RP91 DVD player that no longer reads DVDs. Last week I rented a movie which played fine and the next day I put in Shrek for my kid and got a "No Play" message on the display after waiting more than a minute.

I tried other DVDs I own and watch frequently and got the same sad result. For the heck of it, I put in a CD which the player read fine.

Is the CD laser and DVD laser two different components? Does anyone have any service suggestions? Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Some DVD players use a separate laser for CD and DVD reading (Like the Sny's for instance). It sounds like either the laser is dirty or the laser is reaching end of life. Is it under warranty still?

3. Robert TX

Robert TX Auditioning

Thanks for the reply

I thought about the dirty laser angle so I bought a laser cleaner (in the form of a DVD). The disc has tiny brushes on it as well as material encoded on the disc for calibrating my TV. After loading the disc, the player stays in "Reading Disc" mode for about a minute then displays "No Play."

The DVD player is just over a year old. I think the parts are under warranty for only a year and parts and labor for 3 months. No joy.

4. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Stunt Coordinator

Sounds just like the last piece of Panny junk I bought 20 yrs. ago (27" console tv) at a cost of $1000. Right after warranty ran out the set displayed everything in green. Panasonic was no help at all and I haven't bought Panny's since. Just my 2 cents.

5. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

Robert, I have a RP-91 and had a similar situation a few months ago. Mine had problems reading audio cd's. DVD's were fine. Although it would mistrack on maybe 1 out of 30 dvd's. Anyways it would try and read a cd and eventually play. After awhile it just stopped reading them at all. I figured the cd laser was burnt out. I dont use it for audio cd's anymore but I didnt like the fact something was wrong with it. It was just out of warranty as yours is but the local shop I bought it from was going to still honor it. The problem was the repair shop would of held on to it for about a MONTH before they even looked at it. Plus an addition few weeks to order any parts if needed. I said $%#@ that. So I found the optical assembly on Panasonic's website for about $90 shipped. Popped it in and its been running beautifully since. It actually tracks better on dvd's now. Not a single glitch. The newer assembly was lighter and not made of metal. I guess its been improved since we bought ours. So basically if you're even mildly mechanically inclined I would recommend it. Just a suggestion.

6. Robert TX

Robert TX Auditioning

Thanks BenK for the info. I haven't had time to crack the dvd player open so i'm not sure what kind of mechanical ability I'll need to replace parts. I'm not even sure if a new laser assembly is what i need.

Is there one laser for CDs and another laser for DVDs?

Robert

7. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

8. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Ben,

Do you have a link or information on the assembly you bought? I have an RP-91 that is working flawlessly, but if something were to happen it would be nice to have the info on getting the parts I need.

Thanks!

9. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jesse, I hope you never need to use this link but here it
    is. Type DVDRP91D in the search by model. The optical assembly is the last part on the list.

10. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Panasonic had problems with early model DVD players. I can't recall the model number I had but the optics failed about 11 months after I bought it. When I got it back from repair, I sold it. Many people on this forum had that same problem with the early Panasonic DVD players.

11. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

That makes sense because I had mine a little over a year before the cd laser stopped working. Also it was my second RP91 since the first one I got had problems tracking dvd's within the first month. I love the performance of the player but the reliability has much to be desired.