DVD player - spindle bar broken?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Nguyen, Oct 5, 2001.

1. David Nguyen

David Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

About two weeks ago, I posted a topic about how my Sony DVD player just stopped recognizing discs in the tray. I finally got a reply from the repair shop, and they want $95 to replace the "spindle bar." I asked what it was, and he said it "spins the disc."
    I'm not well versed in these kind of things(cars are my bag, baby!) so I just gave him the go-ahead. Does this diagnosis sound plausible or correct to you guys? Thanks in advance.

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I've never heard it called a spindle bar, but if that's what they call it, well, hey, it spins the disc!
    Maybe the "bar" is just one part of the spindle assembly. But I'm betting they're replacing the entire spindle motor assembly.
    KJP

3. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Unless you have a very nice dvd player, I would suggest replaceing it..
    If one thing breaks down, more stuff will start breaking..
    I purchased a brand new progressive scan dvd player on Ebay for $68.00, so you can try there..
    Nathan
    ------------------
    "Fascinating Captian"
    --Spock
    Visit www.speedemenu.com

4. David Nguyen

David Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys! I feel somewhat reassured now. Since the player is only a year old, and seeing as I am broke as a joke, this is the cheapest alternative. Plus, I am just attached to my equipment. [​IMG]