1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD player software!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jim Robbins, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I have a 1024X768 projector attached to a laptop. The problem is with a VGA connection, I lose by ability to scale to the 16:9 screen. The present player software I use (PowerDVD) works OK on widescreen DVDs but full screen uses the entire raster and doesn't have a scaler to keep it in the middle of the 16:9 screen.
    Does anyone know of a player that will allow this?

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Jim - 768 / 1024 = 0.75. Your projector is outputting 4:3, not 16:9. Does your projector support any other display modes?

3. Jim Robbins

Using any analog input, my projector will allow scaling so that I can use a 16:9 screen. This scaling does not work with digital, therefore any software that I use for movies needs to do the scaling. PowerDVD does this find as long as the movie is 16:9 (keeping the film in the 16:9 area of a 4:3 screen). It does not do this for 1.33 films however and uses the entire 4:3 area for the movie. I need the player to allow me to scale it into the 16:9 area of a 4:3 screen.

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Couldn't you adjust the zoom settings on your projector to make the image smaller as you view 4:3 material? By imposing a "zoom" function on the image you'd be throwing away a lot of resolution; instead of using the 1024x768 pixels you'd be using a smaller square in the middle of the panel.

A player that can do a lot of zooming and aspect ratio stuff that springs to mind is Zoom Player. It can use the DVD codecs from PowerDVD but gives you a different frontend. Maybe you should see what it can do (it's shareware) - I've never tried to do this myself so I don't know if it can do it or not, just a lead for you to try.

5. Jim Robbins

Someone else on another forum also suggested Zoom...I'll give it a try.
    As far as zoom ranges on projectors, most are very modest and give you
    very little range. It will cease to be a problem when I upgrade to a new projector one day.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Yeah, some projectors have more zoom capability and some less. Changing the zoom manually is only really comfortable with a projector that has motorized zooming though.

You could always install an anamorphic lens on it. That would put your projector into "constant 16:9 mode" which would improve movie viewing considerably for widescreen material. You'd then have to change only the aspect ratio in software to view 4:3 material on your 16:9 screen, ie you'd have a square image with bars on the side.

http://www.panamorph.com/ sells them, for instance. The cost may be prohibitive unless one is really gung-ho about having the best widescreen experience possible, though. Still, it's an option. [​IMG]