DVD Player Selection question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve Dex, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Steve Dex

Steve Dex Auditioning

Feb 4, 2004
    I am a first-time poster here.
    Let me start by saying what a valuable resource this forum really is. I never make a purchase without reading product feedback and discussion here first.
    I am an HT novice and am in the process of selexting some budget equipment. I have already purchased an Infocus X1 projector for $850 at a local Best Buy. I also purchased the 84 inch da-lite screen from Infocus. So far I am happy with these purchases.
    I have a severe eyesight handicap (20/90 with corrective lenses, 20/200 without lenses) that requires a large viewing screen. I will be sitting about 5 or 6 feet away from the 84 inch da-lite screen (I currently sit about three feet away from my 36 inch Panny TV). Due to my handicap, picture qualtiy is slightly less inportant than actual screen size. However, the rest of my family has perfect eyesight and I would like the HT experience for them to great as well.
    I am tying to select a budget DVD player with progressive scan to use with the X1. I have heard good things about the Mitsubishi DD-8040 but that is at the very top of my budget ($250 Max). Can anyone recommend a DVD player that is known to work well specifically with the Infocus X1???
    Is the Mitsu DD-8040 the way to go???

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thnak you.
  2. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Nov 20, 2002
    I have a DD-8040 for my 42" RPTV and I happy with it. For the price, I don't think you will find a better player w/out going to Ebay. There you may find a Panny xp-30,xp50 or rp-82. You may also be able to find a Denon 1600 online. For $250-$300, the Mits DD-8040 or the Denon 910 are probably the best "current" players available.