DVD Player Search

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aristides, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Aristides

Aristides Agent

I recently purchased a 55" Mistubishi WS-55311 and am enjoying the picture size (prior TV was 13"), however, I have yet to buy a DVD player. Watching movies the old fashioned way is nice but I want to experience the thrill of great resolution associated with DVD.

I've been looking at Denon players primarily, specifically the DVD-800;DVD-1000 and now the DVD-900. These fall within my price cap (less than $400 U.S.).

Features needed:
    1) Progressive scan
    2) Component and S-video output
    3) higher end converters (audio/video)
    4) Pull-down
    5) Anything else I should be looking for?

Can anyone comment on any of these players and/or suggest a better quality player within the same price range?

Thanks in advance,
    Aristides

2. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Aristides,

I would consider getting the Denon DVD-1600 rather than the other Denon models listed. The msrp on the 1600 is 549.00, but I got my for 425.00 from 6th avenue authorized. You will get the latest Faroudja DCDI de-interlacer, DVD-Audio capability, and excellent CD playback. The Denon 1600 uses noise-reduction Burr Brown Dac's, so they are very ideal for music production. The only downside on the 1600 is there is no coaxial output, only optical. I have the 1600 and have been enjoying it a great deal. The other Denon's you mentioned, espeically the 900, have received pretty lackluster reviews. I don't think the 800 or the now discontinued 1000 represent great value in this present climate. I previously thought the 900 was a 1600 without DVD-Audio capability, but it turns out that its an entirely different player. Hope this helps.

Reg

3. Aristides

Aristides Agent

Thanks for the reply. I had come across the 1600 while searching, it sounds like a great product. It may be out of my price range now, but maybe by the holidays. Are there any others I should be considering? Brand isn't really that important...quality is!

Thanks again for the reply.

Aristides

4. Aristides

Aristides Agent

Ok, I've tried to compare the two Denon Players mentioned in the early posts here.

It appears that both the 900 and 1600 are the same with the exception that the 1600 plays DVD-A as well. True? (both have the Faroudja (sp?) and are prog scan etc...

So for $100 more I could delve into the world of DVD-A, assuming it outlasts the format wars with SACD.

What other brand players would give the 1600 a run for it's money?

5. Aristides

Aristides Agent

Okay now I'm making my choice even harder.

I looked at an Integra DVD/DVD-A player yesterday...The DPS 5.3.

A single disc prog scan player for right around the $400 mark.

Any reviews or current owners in here?

Now I'm down to:
    Denon DVD-1600 $425.00
    Integra DPS-3 $399.00
    Panasonic? RP91 $???.??

Peace,
    Aristides

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Consider the RP-82.... my only hanging point on this player is no bass management for DVD-a but most players dont ahve this so what can you do right?

7. Aristides

Aristides Agent

Okay, so I have about 6 weeks before a purchase. (Holidays)
    From what people have recommended here and from independant research these are the final possibilities:
    a) Denon DVD-1600
    b) Pioneer DV-45a
    c) Panasonic RP91 or 82
    For the players listed above I have seen or heard reviews, however Integra has a new player with similar or better capabilites for around the same price. Does anyone have any experience with their new DPS-5.3?
    Described Here
    I am really looking forward to better video and audio quality from a player around or below the $400 mark.
    Thanks in advance for any further decision making suggestions.
    Aristides