DVD player scratching the DISC

selge

Auditioning
We've owned a Pioneer DVD player (DV-535 Multi-region) for nearly 6 years now and last night when I was watching a DVD it froze. So I took it out to see if my daughter has been playing with it. I noticed the disc has circular scratches as though it was caused by the player itself.

We've never had any problems up until yesterday.

Could someone tell us if this is a hardware problem (laser, tray, etc) or the disc itself. I haven't been game enough to put another DVD in to test it.

Thanks in advance

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
It is possible for a player to scratch a disc.

It isn't supposed to, but in general, those perfectly circular scratches are almost always caused by the player.

The major culprit is probably the tray and the disc landing mechanism. Ideally, the disc is brought to a stop, and then lowered onto the tray. Occassionally (or more often) the brake will not engage, and the spinning disc will be lowered onto the tray.

Then tray design becomes very important - where and how does it hold the disc?

I have no idea how how far the laser-head is supposed to be from the disc. I know at work, we had some old laserdisc players that once, in a very stange circumstance, drove the laser-head into the disc, digging a fairly significant gouge (almost to the aluminium layer) into the disc, and spreading shavings of acrylic all over the place. It was speculated that a power surge got through the power supply and drove the focusing servo to its maximum limit, causing the head crash.

(Curiously, once the player was cleaned, and the disc replaced, it continued to give another decade or so of flawless service - without ever having its head re-aligned or anything like that... just a judicious application of compressed air to blow the acrylic out. They sure don't make 'em like they used to...)

Back to your topic, you may want to invest in a "junk title" disc - the cheapest, nastiest thing you can find that you would be utterly embarrased for anyone here to see in your collection - that you can use for diagnosing possible disc-damaging situations.

Leo

selge

Auditioning
Thanks for that Leo,
I do think that is caused by the tray as the player has been playing DVDs without problem, but when I loaded any audio CDs it often made 'shaking' noise and spat out. I think this is caused because of 'thin' audio disc.

The tray is one of those 'old-fashion' CD player tray designed for both 12cm and 8cm discs.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
check also about the so-called "landing pads" These are often slightly rubbery inserts that stick up just a touch so that the disc doesn't actually land on hard plastic.

Check that they're there (or not.) If they are there, also check that they're clean (not having picked up any grit.)

Also you should be able to look and see if the landing pads - padded or not - are in the right position to cause the scratches.

Leo

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els