DVD Player Sales Leveling Out?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Craig, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Looking at The Digital Bits, the last 4 months of 2004 have seen player sales that total less than the corresponding months in 2003. In fact sales in June 2004 are half the sales in June 2003.

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I think it would be called "market saturation point" and I guess we are there now!

Brent

3. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

Oh goody. Now that everyone's got a DVD player, they can release HD-DVD this Christmas.

4. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Lee, you are no doubt a visonary [​IMG] Actually I figured they'd be out by now since I bought a Denon 2900 just a few months ago.

Mort

5. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the Kudos Mort, but you don't have to be Nostradamus to have seen this coming.

Ever since the retail pricing on DVD players started plumetting like an eagle with a heart attack, combined with unprecendented levels of consumer adoption, it makes sense that once the industry reaches the point of maximum saturation, they'll hit us with the latest and greatest; HD-DVD, and for only $2999.99 for a first-generation Sony or what-have-you.

DVD's that upconvert to 720 or 1080 are only a stepping stone, mark my words.

Gee, do I come across as cynical?

6. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Definately, not surprising. Over the last four months, Ive been waiting for a decent player to come out. None havent.

Where are all the players they promised us this summer?