DVD player-- rotel, denon or HK

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Girish, May 3, 2005.

1. Girish

Girish Stunt Coordinator

girish
    I am thinking of upgrading my dvd player from my present HK 5 disc changer to a better one.
    I looked at rotel rdv1060 and denon 2910. Which one is a better player? Would it be an upgrade? The hk I have works fine and the picture quality with good comp cables.
    BTW I have a CD player of the same brand which I will change eventually.
    The processor is proceed PAV/PDSD so if the only improvement in a more expensive player is audio processing, then would it make sense to keep the current dvd player since the proceed already does a good job in processing?

2. Dave Lindhorst

Dave Lindhorst Stunt Coordinator

I would think your HK DVD player is quite good for DVDs and the audio it supports. If you are looking for something to play just CDs then get a good CD only player. I don't know what your budget is like but you can get a really good CD player for around 600.00 to 800.00. Look at Arcam CD73, Cambridge Audio 640C or the Rotel RCD 1072. Thats as good of a place to start as any. The audio track on a DVD is not nearly as good as they are on CDs. Too much compression as I understand it. Better off getting something just for your CDs.

I just went through this myself and I ended up getting the Arcam CD73. I have a whole new CD collection to listen to now. I am so impressed with the machine I can't believe the difference from the DVD player which I kept but only have it hooked up the the HT receiver not the Stereo.

Hope this helps you out some.

3. Girish

Girish Stunt Coordinator

girish
    Dave,
    Thanks for the reply. Eventually I want to upgrade both the dvd and the cd players( presently both are HK). Mostly I listen to HT thats why I was considering dvd player first.
    BUT if the only extra feature you get in an expensive dvd player is the capability to play cds better, then I will just buy the cd player.
    Girish