dvd player. replace or repair?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Hill, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Peter Hill

Peter Hill Auditioning

I have a Pioneer 525 dvd player that has started to malfunction. It freezes up somewhere in the middle of many of my discs. Sometimes if I skip ahead a few chapters I can see the rest of the movie and sometimes not. The player is about 2 years old and is out of warantee. Do people think it makes sense to get it repaired or to just replace it? My first thought was to get it repaired but then I started to think about other audio/video gear that I've had repaired and I remembered less than satisfactory service on more than one occasion. Thanks for any opinions.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'd replace it. my guess is that it would cost you at least 100 bucks: 50 to look at it, another 50 for whatever part they want to replace, blah, blah, blah.
    heck...for another 150 you could get a really decent, current generation dvd player.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

3. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Replace. Do your research and find yourself the best player you can for your budget. You have a zillion choices at this point.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

4. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Peter,
    I would venture to say that the clock has started ticking, and that you are heading down that road that leads to the dreaded "NO DISC" message display .... ie...inoperable optical pickup. Laser mechanism shot, game over.
    I would save up some coin and start planning to replace the 525. There are some nice added features, disc loading speed, no chroma bug .. etc. available with newer generation players. Panasonic comes to mind.
    Anyway, good luck and look at is as an upgrade. Albeit, necessary.
    BOK