What's new

DVD Player Recommnedation (1 Viewer)

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone give me some advice on buying a decent dvd player? I would like to stay under $300 and would appreciate if you would explain your rationale.

Thanks.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The best advice is to get one with a top-rated de-interlacer like Faroudja. The cheapest new models with Faroudja are the Mitsubishi DD-8040 ($249) and the Denon DVD-910 ($299) at stores like Tweeter or Good Guys. Even better are the older discontinued models like the Panasonic XP30, but you have to look for a leftover unit in stores like Sharper Image or buy one on EBAY. I got one EBAY a few months ago for $250 and it was in like-new condition and is the best picture quality I've seen.

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
Don, thanks for taking the time to give me advice. I am surprised that, so far, others have not done the same.
Rob

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Glad to help. I went thru the same search last year for months and did lots of internet research and tested a lot of different models from stores with 30day return priviledges and I used test equipment and DVD tests such as AVIA and Video Essentials. The best model hands down was the XP30 and I'm lucky I managed to get one finally.

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
Don, I am not using progressive scan. Would the Faroudja de-interlacer improve s-video? Thanks again. Rob

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No the de-interlacer is only used to convert to progressive output. If you are only using an analog TV set with interlaced only, you might as well get an el-cheapo under $100 unit unless you plan on upgrading your TV to digital/HD soon.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
don's right - you won't see any major advantage of using a de-interlacer if you're only using s-video.

but it may not hurt to "future-proof" yourself.

fwiw, i have the samsung 931 - it also has the faroudja chip.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Actually I consider Don to be pretty current in this area and don’t really feel that I can ever add after he posts.

But if I did, I’d write, ‘what Don said’.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The samsung 931 only uses a Faroudja scaler on its DVI port output, not on the component video output for your information. I prefer a native 480p component video output for HDTV CRT sets, so the Panasonic XP30 is the best for that with Faroudja de-interlacer. I've heard the best interlaced output with great scaling features is the old Panasonic RP91.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
sorry...should have mentioned that. as a matter of fact, i think the component outputs are disabled when the dvi is connected ... but not sure...

Page Ferrell

Agent
Very helpful information. Don, you are a sage. My dad would've been proud (a TV repairman for 30 years). ;)

Anyhow, I, too have an older set (36" Mitsubishi 4:3...with a very nice picture though thanks to my dad picking up off of someone's scrap heap and giving it a new picture tube -- that was 6 years ago, too) and a Pioneer DV-444. I am running an S-video line to my TV as it predates component. I was intrigued by yours and everyone else's strong endorsement of the Panasonic XP-30. I would have gone after one to improve my picture, but your previous posts have confirmed that it would not add any value to my current viewing display. Thanks.

Looking today, I see there is Panasonic XP-30 on E-Bay, a "former store model" (so the user claims) that has no reserve and is only at $13.00 right now (and supposedly has a 48-hour guarantee). I would have bidded on it (and maybe I still should, if I get it for a low-low price, it would be good to have and to hold until I upgrade(?), but a new HDTV is not in cards for me in the near future (a renovated apartment is, instead...that's okay!). There's still 5 days left to go with this bidding, if anyone is interested.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I'm sure that XP30 if its in decent condition will go up to $300 or so near the end of the bidding. Its very typical to not bid up until the end unless their is a minimum price which there usually is for Xp30's.

Page Ferrell

Agent
Aaaaaaaaaaaah, understood. Thanks, Don. I did notice the other XP-30s on Ebay are all between $270-$340 and yet are refurbished. Clearly, the market is dictating a premium price for these highly sought after commodities. Wild.

I surely have the "bug," here for a new TV and corresponding new DVD player, but alas, I am going to have to enjoy them vicarously through these postings for a while (however, that'll make the pain-related envy worse!), and consider it part of the education process. On the one hand, I have been part of the video edge for my whole life (given what my dad did for a living), but on the other, the explosion of multiple formats with advanced technologies in the video/TV world over the last 3-5 years has been enormous (and it saddens me that my dad is missing it; he was sooo knowledgeable and honest and good and "into" this stuff). Alas, I will try and carry the sword for him (albeit that I have zero tech skills), and acquire the right TV (the one with the best picture at a "reasonable price") when the timing is right.

Sorry for the ramble...a little personal ventilation never hurt.

- walkman

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator

Then, can anyone recommend an el-cheapo player for an analog set using s-video?

Thanks for all your input, thus far.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Rob, the Toshiba SD-4900/SD-3900 is a very good "el-cheapo" player. I am curently using an SD-5700 with my HDTV and its great, but I do plan to upgrade to one of the Faroudja-equipped players.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
If you're using a 4:3 set, I'd reccomend either the Pioneer 353 or the Sony 325. I've found that Pioneer and Sony do the best job of downconverting 16:9 material for 4:3 displays.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
For the best interlaced output quality look for a deal on a Panasonic RP91. For under $100 players I favor the JVC models they have more features than others and are reliable with very fast

Hi Rob, FWIW Kenwood has a dv-6050 with the faroudja chip and it also plays most formats including DVD-A, and is a five disk carousel. I haven't had it very long but it seems like a pretty good deal for the 180$$ canadian that i paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks