DVD Player Recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan_P, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Bryan_P

Bryan_P Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to find a new DVD player for Christmas that has good progressive scan for a new HDTV. My price range is about 200-400 dollars (definitely not over $400). I figure most that are around $200 are entry-level, and that something a bit more expensive would probably be good for an HDTV. For instance, a friend told me the progressive scan on the $200 Sony (model 715, I think) is little better than S-Video on many players. In case the TV matters, we have a Samsung HLM507W, which is the 50' DLP. Thanks very much for your help.

2. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

There are many threads on this topic, But I'll answer it for ya. Panasonic rp-82 ( $190-$260 ) range , is great for dvd Picture,and dvd audio. The Pionerr av-45a is also one heck of a player but more towards the $500.00 range.But it playe's SACD too.Those are my two cents worth.

3. Bryan_P

Bryan_P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks very much, I'll check it out.

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    If you can wait another month or two, it might be worthwhile waiting for the Philips 963 that's been getting a lot of attention these days--mostly overseas since it's already available outside the US. It's been delayed repeatedly for US release, but it sounds like the next great player to come out leading a probable wave of players that will use the newest/latest Faroudja deinterlacer chip that also integrates excellent scaling capabilities.

So far, it sounds like this could be what many of us have been waiting for. If you have lots of non-16x9 DVDs, want good PAL->NTSC conversion and/or remote-hackable all-region playback, good CD/SACD sound, etc., then you should read up on it and see if you can wait. If not, then the Panny RP82 is probably your best choice.

At this point, I plan to wait myself.

_Man_