What's new

DVD player recommendations ~$200 range... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Well, it's finally upgrade time!

I'm in the market for a new progressive-scan DVD player in the $180-200 range. I'd like a changer, but that's not a priority if I can upgrade quality.

I originally had my eye on the Sony NC665P, but after doing some research, it seems people think it has the chroma bug... don't want that.

Also, doing a forum search, I know everyone was really hot on last year's Panisonics, especially the CP72 and RP82, but can I find these models still? It seems they are out of circulation now, at least from B&M stores.

Can anyone give me a good recommendation?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yeah the good 'ole Faroudja-based models like Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 and Denon DVD-1600 are all discontinued now. But many have shopped around and found one leftover in some stores. I bought an XP30 on EBAY for $200 and its great. Avoid the Sonys at all cost. As far as new models, the cheapest new ones with Faroudja are the Mitsubishi DD-8040 ($249 at Tweeter) and the Denon DVD-910 ($299).

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Another model that seems to be well-received is the Panny CP67. Doesn't it also have the Faroudja?

My local Ultimate Electronics has it for $149... seems like a pretty good deal.

I'm thinking of jumping on this one.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Nope that CP67 doesn't have Faroudja if its a newer model (less than a year old) - Panasonic stopped using Faroudja chips about a year ago.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies.

Well, after doing some further exhaustive research, I decided to go with the Mits DD-8040 and couldn't be happier!

Going from a 4-year-old Sony entry-level model to the brand-new Mits with the Faroudja made quite a difference! :)

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
If your interests run to DVD-A and SACD as well as movies, the $170 Pioneer 563A is worth considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks