DVD player recommendations ~$200 range...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff Pounds, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

Well, it's finally upgrade time!

I'm in the market for a new progressive-scan DVD player in the $180-200 range. I'd like a changer, but that's not a priority if I can upgrade quality.

I originally had my eye on the Sony NC665P, but after doing some research, it seems people think it has the chroma bug... don't want that.

Also, doing a forum search, I know everyone was really hot on last year's Panisonics, especially the CP72 and RP82, but can I find these models still? It seems they are out of circulation now, at least from B&M stores.

Can anyone give me a good recommendation?

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yeah the good 'ole Faroudja-based models like Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 and Denon DVD-1600 are all discontinued now. But many have shopped around and found one leftover in some stores. I bought an XP30 on EBAY for $200 and its great. Avoid the Sonys at all cost. As far as new models, the cheapest new ones with Faroudja are the Mitsubishi DD-8040 ($249 at Tweeter) and the Denon DVD-910 ($299).

3. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

Another model that seems to be well-received is the Panny CP67. Doesn't it also have the Faroudja?

My local Ultimate Electronics has it for $149... seems like a pretty good deal.

I'm thinking of jumping on this one.

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Nope that CP67 doesn't have Faroudja if its a newer model (less than a year old) - Panasonic stopped using Faroudja chips about a year ago.

5. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

Thanks for the replies.

Well, after doing some further exhaustive research, I decided to go with the Mits DD-8040 and couldn't be happier!

Going from a 4-year-old Sony entry-level model to the brand-new Mits with the Faroudja made quite a difference! [​IMG]

6. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

If your interests run to DVD-A and SACD as well as movies, the $170 Pioneer 563A is worth considering.