DVD player recommendation

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Wes Nance, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I've done a bit of searching, but wanted to know if I could get a another quick opinion.

I have a 27" WEGA TV, does 16:9 but not progressive scan, and my Sony DVD just died.

I'm probably going to be moving to a front projector in the next 6 months, so I either need to get a really cheap player if I'm going to HTPC, or get a player that can also serve me well with the projector.

I'm probably looking around $1500 or less for the projector, so X1, etc. . .

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Wes

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Wes, do you want 4:3 or 16:9 projector? Do you want DLP or LCD? Have you been to Projectorcentral.com yet to read about their "Highly Recommended Projectors?". The best DLP under $1500 is said to be the Optoma H30. I'm still deciding between the Epson Home 10 & Panasonic 300 for LCD under $1500.

3. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Jim,

I'm still in the process of starting to research projectors, but I'm pretty sure I want a 16:9. It will only be used for movies, and maybe the odd sporting event, etc.

It's for a basement HT room, where there are no windows, so I have 100% light control. I was thinking DLP just because of cost and size. My ceiling isn't very high, so I need a projector that's pretty quiet, as it will pretty much be just behind me over my head.

What do you think? Any good threads to read up on?

Thanks,

Wes

4. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Zenith DVB318, Samsung 931 or 941 with that DLP should be very nice...