DVD player recommendation, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianChim, Dec 14, 2002.

1. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

I have ordered or decided on most of my home theater setup. The only decision left is a DVD player. I will be using a B&K ref 50 with a Sherbourn 7/2100 amp, Marantz VPS2 projector and a 110" firehawk screen.

I need DVD player suggestions. I have no interest in DVD-A, etc. (strictly movies!!!) Price range is not set, but be reasonable please (not planning on a 2-4K unit like a Camelot Roundtable).

2. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

Also, as I will be using a DLP projector (Marantz VPS2), I've heard it will be better to use the DVD in interlaced rather than progressive mode (let the projector do the rest). Is this correct?

Also, I'm considering having the DVD player modified for DVI output.

3. Tom Moran

Tom Moran Agent

If you really want DVI output you might want to consider a Home Theater PC. By the time you get done modifying a regular player I would imagine you would spend as much and have a voided warranty. There is a section here on HTPC's if you are interested. Though it is personally not the route I will take I mention this mainly because all Macintosh computers come standard with DVD drives and DVI outputs. I'll be using a Mac for a Personal Video Recorder (PVR) rather than a DVD player.

FWIW, I'm in pretty much the same boat with having decided on everything except my player and I have narrowed it down to a Denon 1600 or Panasonic RP-82 as so many of the other players have the "Chroma Bug". Although my budget will allow it I just can't see forking over a grand for any player with such a significant design flaw.

Tom

4. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

Thanks. I'm not very interested in going with a HTPC. Anyone else?

5. Rob Warren

Rob Warren Auditioning

I would like to ask opinions on DVD players around the $150 U.S. price. I decided not to worry about Progressive Scan because I don't have HDTV's and the TV's I have only take RF input. I would like to get one that will playback DVD-R, DVD-RW as I will be getting a computer soon with a DVD recorder in it. I've noticed the Sony's seem to playback DVD-R & DVD-RW the Sony DVP-NC-615/B. Anybody have any warnings with DVD players in this price range or certain brands to stay away from. Sony, Phillips, Panasonic?

Rob Warren

6. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

anyone???????????????????????????????