What's new

DVD Player R.I.P. and its Replacement (1 Viewer)

PrinzII

Agent
My Sony DVPNS700P has bit the dust. I got the dreaded C 13:00 error and things are definitely not looking good. I called one shop and they told me that it would cost between $190 and $240 to replace the optical block on this particular unit.

Well, in a nutshell, I am looking for a replacement and need opinions. Here are the guidelines:

a) I don't want to go over $200 for a player. I'll bend at $250 if it plays SACD and DVD Audio.

b) It has to have excellent Audio performance since it will double as my CD player.

c) It will have to be able to play CD, DVD, DVD-RW, MP3 CD, WMA

I am extremely interested in units with the Faroujda de-interlacer but might also consider the Sony DVPNS725P.
If anyone's got any opinions on the 725, please let me know.

Other players on my short list include Pioneer, Toshiba, Panasonic, Maybe Denon or Yamaha.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I installed and connected a 725 for a friend, and was rather impressed with the little machine. Since he has a 4:3 TV with no 16:9 mode, I was impressed by the Sony's 4:3/16:9 downconversion performance -- very smooth.

Curious, though: Did you use the 700 a lot, playing several films in a single session? Wondering why it bit the dust.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Get a Mitsubishi DD-8040 or Denon DVD-910, check stores like Tweeter or Good Guys and get one on sale or haggle with them to get close to your $200 mark. These are the cheapest models with the excellent Faroujda de-interlacer. It would be a shame to get a poorer quality one without Faroujda just to save $50 or so.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Sonys should be avoided they have inferior de-interlacer and the chroma bug. Go for a Faroujda-based model.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Dude dig for the xtra few bucks. Thats a heck of a deal on that Denon. I wonder if they have sold them all yet. I was considering buying them all and unloading them on Ebay.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Freddy Prinz dude,

I hear Porky's (the original) downs a lot of dvd players so you're not alone. The latest generation of Sonys are getting pretty close to the "famous" de-interlacers so I wouldn't worry about that so much especially if your viewing screen is under 35 inches.

Porkys rules dude,

Chester

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
2 things:

I just heard that ecost.com has Denon 2200s for $275. That is one heck of a universal DVD player for that price. That is your best bet overall.

I also wanted to note that the Sony 725p player is certainly good but in my own comparison it was absolutely inferior to the Denon 910 and 1200.

PrinzII

Agent
Since I missed the deal at eCost for the 2200 for $275, I was wondering if anyone's run across anything similar. The more I read on the 2200, the more I want it.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
I think they have the Denon DVD-1600 or DVD-1200 for $199 shipped at Ecost.com right now which both are very good players.

Not to rub it in but I got my 2200 from Ecost and it is unbelievable.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
I checked eCost. They have the Denon DVD-1200 for $199 shipped and also the Denon DVD-900 for $99 shipped. I might have to pick one of those 900's up for my bedroom.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
They will be in stock in about a week (DVD-2200). Pre-Order why they still have them. I ordered another one. Can't pass on this price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks