DVD Player Questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JoeyR, Mar 20, 2006.

1. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    My JVC 7 disc changer is acting up and wont read discs, Ive tried the obvious to no avail.

I am working to get out of debt and dont want to dump alot of money
    1. Is getting a new DVD player worth it with newer formats coming up?
    2. Is it worth it to buy DVDs with the newer formats coming up?

2. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

if you are talking about HD-DVD or Bluray they are going to be lots of money. I would just buy a decent single disc DVD player.

3. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I actually saw a Sony Blu-Ray player sitting in a second-hand store the other day for around 2 grand. I haven't priced these things out, so that could have been a bargain, but as an early adopter of DVD - bought my first player in '98 for $799 - I've decided not to buy into these new DVD techonologies until they have been fully accepted by the general public and until the price is on par with regular DVD. That will be quite a few years down the road, if it ever happens at all. Since many players are capable of upscaling DVD from it's native 480i to 720p/1080i, and do it well (looks fantastic), I really can't see the point in adopting Blu-Ray or HD-DVD or even being concerned with them, for now.
    [rant]With many home theaters looking and sounding better than commercial theaters, however, Hollywood SHOULD begin turning its eyes toward adopting these new digital technologies. George Lucas must be pulling his hair out with filming in digital and then having to convert and present his movies on archaic analog film.[/rant]
    But I digress...

I agree with Jacob. Don't worry about those new technologies and just be content to have a regular one-disc, progressive scan player, for now, unless you're adamant about owning the carousel player.