DVD Player Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Jan 16, 2002.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

What's the difference between 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 Normal, and 16:9 widescreen? I don't have a widescreen tv, so I shouldn't even use 16:9 right? So what's the differ between these types?

Thanx.

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

No, you shouldn't use the 16:9 setting. If you do, the picture will appear distorted when you view DVDs that have been enhanced for widescreen TVs.

Really, there is no practical difference between the other two settings. In theory, the 4:3 P&S setting would allow the player to zoom in on the picture and automatically pan and scan it by following electronic flags encoded on the disc. So far, there aren't very many discs that have been encoded with these flags.

It's a matter of opinion, but I would suggest you set the player to 4:3 letterbox.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

By the way, what evil manufacturer has a setting "4:3 Normal"? That seems to suggest there is something wrong with widesceen, which there isn't. Sounds like something we should get bent out of shape about.

4. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

I have a Toshiba DS-1700, it's last year's model (2001)...I have it now on Letter Box, but I was just curious...