What's new

DVD player question (1 Viewer)

Bob.W

Auditioning
I'm sold on the Onkyo 570 home theater system...Ive heard nothing but good about it.

As far as the DVD player, I have no idea. I had guessed the Pioneer DV-578A-S, but I know nothing about it. All I am going to use it for is regular DVD's and CD's.

1. I dont want to spend over $200 on a DVD player if at all possible.

2. Does the DVD player affect the sound at all if you have a HTS? With the Onkyo 570, will one DVD player make DVD's sound better than another?

3. Why should I buy a $200 DVD player over a $50 one at Wal-mart?

If there is a better DVD player under $200, please tell me. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions/help, I'm a little lost on this.

Thank you for reading,
Bob

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
You don't say what you are going to display the DVDs on. If you main issue is sound reproduction and you don't care about picture quality from the player then, sure, a lower cost DVD player would be fine since you don't sound like a hardcore audiophile. Yes, some DVD players do handle sound better than others. On the other hand, if you do want a great picture, a good progressive scan DVD player in the 150-200 buck range would probably be a good buy. I will probably get flamed for this, but, depending on your display, the Samsung DVD HD841 that I currently have attached to my RCA HD RPTV works well for me. It plays DVDs, CDs, SACDs, and DVD-Audio discs just fine. The early run of these players had firmware issues which have for the most part been addressed in the latest firmware update. I know that a few folks have reported buying this player at Costco for just around 100 bucks and for an upscaling DVD player with SACD capability, and that includes a DVI cable, you really can't go wrong. Some people say that the player has problems showing subtle black details when hooked to a TV via the DVI interface, but I really don't notice that. Anyway, I recommend the Sammy player. There are others of course and browsing the Circuit City, and Bestbuy websites as well as other Home Theater forums could help you make a decision.

Bob.W

Auditioning
This will be my first HTS, so Im not really looking to break the bank here. My TV will be a Samsung 27" flat tube (TXP2734FX). I just want a DVD player that will play DVD's and CD's. I want to be able to turn the volume up high and have them still sound good. Many sites and reviews have recommended the Onkyo 570 HTS, but I cant find much about DVD players.

How much does the DVD player affect audio output? And what should I look for in a DVD player?

Since my TV is not an HDTV..upscaling, DVI outs, HDMI outs, 16:9 aspect ratio, and 3-2 pull-down really make no difference to me..right or wrong?

Thank you for the help, my head is spinning with all these terms. I never knew there was so much to consider when buying an HTS.

Bob

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, any good brand name progressive scan DVD player will suit you I guess. Even if your TV doesn't support progressive scan (your's does't) it still has component inputs so that is also a consideration. Component inputs will give you a superior picture as opposed to an S-Video or composite inputs. I would stay in the 75-100 buck price range if you want a player with any quality. :)

Bob.W

Auditioning
Alright, thank you Chuck. This is all just a little confusing right now, trying to take all this in at once :D

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Bob, in your price range and with your other equipment you will probabaly not notice any difference between players. But don't get the $50 Walmart special. It won't last and it will look like sh!t.

I have a Sony DVPNS575PS. I had it hooked up to a 27" SD Panasonic before I got an HDTV and I had no complaints about PQ, and that was through S-vid. I think you can get them for under a $100US. It is worth a look. I think I have had it for about a year now no problems.

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
i also have the Sony DVPNS575P in black - sound quality is good - crt non-hd tv looks great with component connects - + i like the sony feature of remembering where you stopped dvds that have been removed then reloaded. should be less than $100 amer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks