DVD player question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ed*Wheaton, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Ed*Wheaton

Ed*Wheaton Agent

I had someone tell me that you shouldn't play cd's on a DVD player.Something to do with they should only be used to play one type of media?Then why do the make them to play so many different types of cd's?Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about.Anyone use their DVD player to play other things besides DVD's?

Ed

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

? - Seems kind of weird to me. However, maybe it has something to do with the way the laser tracks on different discs.

Given the fact that most of us upgrade our players every few years or so to gain new features, this should not be a problem. Personally, I'd continue to use the player with the various media that you have been using.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

THis may be due to the fact that most salesmen would want to sell a CD and a DVD player rather than just a DVD player[​IMG] . A dedicated CD player may or may not sound better, but I can think of no physically harmful effect in playing CD's on your DVD player. IMHO, more salesman hogwash.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    There is no physical harm to your CDs if you play them in a DVD player. A dedicated CD player, depending on the DACs, transport mechanism, power supply and numerous other factors, can sound better than a DVD player but that is not NECESSARILY the case (it usually requires spending as much on, if not more, the CD player than the DVD player). I listen to a lot of music and will soon be buying a dedicated CD player, not only to benefit from the better DACs in the player, but to split the workload between my CD player and DVD player. With luck, they'll each last longer than if I used only one machine for everything. Also, if ever one of them breaks down, I won't lose my ability to listen to music on my primary system (though that's a mere indulgence on my part, certainly not a necessity of life). If you are happy with the sound of your CDs coming from your DVD player, then you certainly don't HAVE to buy a separate player for CDs.

In fact, you can use that money to buy more CDs and rent/buy DVDs--which is the point of this whole hobby, right?[​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Here's why I prefer a dedicated CD player for spinning music discs: All but the heavily constructed, top-of-the-line DVD players from the major manufacturers are flimsily built and are finicky machines, and they run hot. Better, therefore, to use them for screening films only. For music, use a dedicated CD player.