DVD player - Panasonic dvdf85s or Sony DVP-NC665

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BrianSimmons, Oct 10, 2003.

1. BrianSimmons

BrianSimmons Auditioning

I am looking for my first DVD player. I am looking at either the Sony DVP-NC665 or Panasonic DVDF85S 5 disc changers. FYI - I also just picked up a Onkyo 6.1 system, but my TV isn't anything to boast about.

I like the fact that the Panasonic plays more formats than the Sony, but it looks much more complicated to use. I need to stick in the $150 range, so please don't waste your time or the sites band width by telling me a $300 player is what I really need.

Anyone have real life experience on either of these models and wants to give me their opinion (good and bad features)

Thanks for the input.

2. Jared Brock

Jared Brock Auditioning

I don't have any experience with the panasonic one but I did purchase that Sony model about a month ago. I would double check this, but I don't think that Panasonic has pro scan (I could be wrong). Basically, the sony had all the features I wanted for a really cheap price. It's got coax and optical digital output. Component vid. It does pro scan. I think it even plays mp3's though I'd never use that. The remote is average as far as remotes go. The menus' for adjusting picture and stuff are pretty average Sony menus and are simple once you've used it a couple times.
    Compared to a 4 year old interlaced dvd player that it replaced, the video looks very nice on dvd's. It changes discs pretty quickly, I expected a lot more lag but it only takes a couple seconds to switch. Basically, for an inexpensive changer it does everything I expected it to and does a good job at that.
    The only complaint I have, and it's very minor, is that you can't change progressive modes via remote, you have to get up and push the button on the player.

3. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

I have the F-85S. While it's been a good player for the price ($130) I'm already looking to replace it.

I had a Sony single-disc progressive scan player before -- can't remember the model number but it was in the $250 range. It was much easier to use and had a better picture than the F85s. Having a changer is nice if I'm playing a double-disker (i.e. "Lawrence of Arabia") or a boxed set (i.e. "The Simpsons"), but I don't use the changer capabilities as much as I thought. I also haven't used DVD-Audio at all, and that was a big selling point for the Panny when I bought it.

The Panny's picture isn't bad by any means, but it is noticeably softer than the Sony's, and I've lost some detail in dark scenes, too.

Not sure if this helps, but that's my assessment.