DVD Player Opinion

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Karls, May 27, 2003.

1. Chris Karls

Chris Karls Auditioning

I wanted to know if anyone has a specific DVD player out of these (Down) that they like and why, I am looking for a new one to buy and they all seem almost the same, I want a DVD player that will have a good mp3 setup, VCD, and Sound.
    By the way, price is not a big issue, just quality. It needs to be a single disc, progressive scan also. Any other reccomondations will also be seriously considered. Thanks for helping me narrow down my hunt. [​IMG]

Apex AD-1600, Apex AD-2500, Apex AD-3201, Apex AD-5131, Daewoo DVG-9000N, JVC XV-N44SL, JVC XV-N50, JVC XV-N55, JVC XV-SA602SL, Panasonic DVD-S55, Philips DVD724AT, Philips DVD953AT, RCA DRC350N, RCA RC6001P, Samsung DVD-V2500, Sony DVP-NS755V, Toshiba SD4800.

PS: If I could get the top 5 i could shop around a little.

2. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Well, if your talking quality you can automatically rule out Apex and Daewoo.

3. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

I too am looking for a new DVD player since my 5 yr. old Panny A120 is finally quitting on me[​IMG]

I am looking at the JVC Model No: XVN44SL which is being sold right now at HHGregg for $94.00 including shipping!
    It has just about every option on it although I won't be using it's internal progressive scan mode since I'm outboarding to a Iscan doubler. But everything on this unit seems real nice and I like it's sleek look. Quite a contrast between my A120 and the JVC.

Does anyone own this unit and if so how do you like it?

Thanks!
    Troy

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Troy,

If you only want 480i output, you should avoid any Mediamatics-based player since their chips have a long history of outputing their deinterlaced 480p video re-interlaced into 480i for that. Would defeat the purpose of using a higher quality doubler.

Not sure if it's confirmed yet, but the newest JVC models are very likely using the same line of chips as before.

Chris,

Beyond the quirks and QC problems, the Philips 963sa is probably your best bet for

5. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

_Man_

Are you saying that i should avoid players that have progressive scan capability?
    I dont' see why because I'll just disable the progressive scan feature in the player's menu so the signal can output in the 480I format and my external doubler can do the job.

I know lots of folks who have progressive scan players but who dont' use their progressive scan abilities because they are hooked up to either doublers or scalers.

back at ya?

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Troy,

I'm speaking specifically about players that use the Mediamatics all-in-one chip, eg. JVC's are a primary case. Not sure if you understand all the in's and out's of DVD deinterlacing, but basically, for best results, you do NOT want to run your DVDs through an extra 480i->480p->480i process before feeding the signal to your external linedoubler. And w/ players that use the Mediamatics chip, that's what happens as far as we know. Doing so would introduce deinterlacing artifacts to the 480i video before it even gets to your doubler. This could mean a much softer picture or some combing or excessive jaggies or such in certain scenes that normally give trouble to the player's deinterlacer.

Not all progressive players do this although this seems common to players that use the Mediamatics chip. If you do want to get a player that uses that chip, you should verify whether that's really the case while it's still returnable. Just run it through the usual deinterlacing test scenes w/ the 480i output to see.

_Man_

7. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

So what DVD players are out there that don't use the Mediamatic technology?

8. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

_Man_

Does this apply to all the outputs of the JVC players?
    I am only using the S-video output right now.

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    That I'm not sure. It's quite probable that s-video is not affected, but I really don't know. You could try it out and see. All you need to do is run some problematic DVDs (eg. most TV show DVDs) or a few typical DVD extra features (eg. featurettes that show portions of the movie, actual trailers, etc.) to see if it's a problem.

If you don't want to bother w/ it, the Panny players would make decent candidates for s-video output, assuming you don't have a big display, eg. >40".

_Man_

10. Chris Karls

Chris Karls Auditioning

Sorry but i didnt receive much help here, anyone?

11. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I'd vote for the Panasonic, Toshiba or Sony players.

12. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

If your not afraid to buy refurbs., then go to ecost.com, and pick up a denon 900/1600/1800/1805. ecost.com has a 50 mail in rebate for some of the players, and they are priced to sell. I just picked up a 1600, and it should be delivered today. You can also get an extended warranty for 30+ bucks...

Kimo B.

13. Jon Jell

Jon Jell Auditioning

I'm a newby trying to follow this thread. I can get the JVC XVN44SL for $80 at BJ's. I'll be playing this through a samsung TXL2791F, flat 27" with component inputs. How would this player be for my first one? Does this progressive scan chip quirk matter to me?

Basically, whats' the downside of this player, there's absolutely nothing editorial about it on the web.

thanks,

Jon

14. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Kimo,

Can I ask what you paid for the 1600 and did it have the $50 rebate ??? I just ordered the refurbished 900 for $100, no rebate, free shipping, but $6 handling charge. I thought this was a pretty awesome deal as long as it doesn't die in less than a year.

15. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Can't say what Kimo paid, but I got my 1600 from ECost for $249, quite a bargain seeing as I've had it for two months and it works perfectly thus far and considering the $549 msrp and $450 to $500 street price. Just in case, I bought an extended warranty. No rebate coupon for me though.

16. Parisis

Parisis Agent

Very impressed with the Sony DVP-NS725P. Single disk , Progressive Scan. $149. It's only 2 weeks old but so far the picture is beautiful and the mechanics are perfect. NO DVD audio but does agood job on music and mp3's.

17. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Stunt Coordinator